GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good places to read up on how to do it yourself? I think I will try to install a CST 7" lift and 3" PA body lift. Also will I need any special tools? The truck is brand new so everything should come off pretty easy right? Should I invest in air tools.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
honesrtly if you having to ask these questions, I wouldnt try it. Its a lot more expensive to have to have it towed to a shop than having started out there.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it pretty basic though, out with the old in with the new? I have a friend who installed a lift on his ranger and im gonna call him up tomorrow but I dont know anyone thats done the body lift and I have been told online its super easy.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well there is a bit more to it than that. You have to unload/relaod the coils and a few otehr things. Its not to bad but I wouldnt try unless you feel confident you can do it for sure.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Its not really hard, and when i did my first lift, i was pretty confident about it, just a lil scared rippin into an almost brand new truck. it shouldn't be hard, just take your time.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This CST kit was my first suspension lift to put on. First time to mess with coils, first time for anything. After reading the instructions and looking at the situation it was off with the old and on with the new. To unload the coil I put the truck on jackstands, put the jack under the LCA put alittle preasure on it. Took the spindle completely off and then slower let the jack down until all pressure was off of the coil and then it came out. to get the new longer coil in, all you had to do was push the LCA down quite abit and work to get the jack under the LCA and jack it back up and then re-attach the spindle to the new UCA and attach tie rods and so forth. I didnt have a problem doing it myself for the first time. But I am pretty good with taking things apart and putting them back together and having them work after lol... So it was a no brainer to save the 1K...

The body lift is also pretty simple if you just go step by step and follow the instructions... Sometimes things dont fit exactly how they should or take alittle fudging to get to fit right but that is all part of it.

Main thing is tools, I have done 3 body lifts without air tools and 2 with air tools and the air tools make it so much easier IMO... That and a good set of jackstands and a good 2.5-3 ton jack with a complete set of wrenches and sockets and you will do fine... You have to cut a small part of metal on the UCA mount with the CST kit either with a sawzall or a torch. And drill a hole to bolt the UCA stop where you cut the metal off of. Other then that, its all a matter of taking bolts off and spindle and putting new back on....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I didnt need to use a torch on my body lift... Only thing I see a torch for the body lift is if you had an older truck with rusted body bolts and had to cut them out...

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
ADyingDevotion said:
I have a friend who installed a lift on his ranger and im gonna call him up tomorrow but I dont know anyone thats done the body lift and I have been told online its super easy.
depending on what year ranger these are 2 totally different animals. if it's a pre-98 ranger it has i-beams which in no way is like a truck with A arms. i've done a few lifts on rangers and they are a crapload easier than A-armed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK well I read all about packing unpacking coils damn it looks so easy jsut gotta have the tool. I also have air tools, well a buddy does, and I have a jack but how big of jackstands will I need? I am afraid the jack might be too short too? Also where is the best place to get a 3" bl and will I need to get anything extra that doesnt come with the bl

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
everything comes with the 3" body lift. Bumper brackets the whole thing. You may look into a set of gap gaurds to hide the gap in the wheel wells that is what I did and it makes it look so much better...

My jack stands are like 4-6 ton something like that and got them at harbor freight for like 30 bucks or cheaper I believe...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yea go by and pic those lift lips up...

Before
IMGP0469.jpg

After
IMGP0471.jpg

Makes alot of difference... BTW tyler I have the kit cleaned and all packaged up and about to go polish those rims before I package them. Your truck is going to look sweet...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts