GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i have a 2000 2500 (non-HD) Extended Cab Long bed 6.0L 4x4 and tommorow im going to a truck part place looking at lift kits. i want to know how good my truck would actually be off-roading considering its lenght (20 feet). I want atleast 10" suspension, but im shooting for 12" and 38s and want to know how good off-roading my truck will be. Im not looking for SUPER GOOD off-road like, go every day and run over huge ass trees and go through 12 feet of mud, maybe like a 50/50 good driver/off-road...if you guys know of any lift kits that would be good, id like to go all suspension...i dont know the ups and downs of blocks, so id be willing to use blocks to help add lift to the suspension kit if they are almost as good as using suspension. And if theres any questions i should ask the dealer or anything like that? thanks

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
I have a 2001 2500HD Crew cab reg bed so I bet we are close to the same length. The truck is a good 4x4 and I think it does pretty damn good off the road. Ive been through Dirt, mud, semi rocky roads, but have yet to get it on sand. It has never got stuck or broke down in the middle of nowhere and did real well with what i put it through. Now the truck is big so the downfall is trying not to get it scratched in narrow roads with rocks on the side or mountain trails with lots of trees. Your not going to be able to follow a jeep through some hard core trails unless you do what Jason or willywanter did and mutate the shit out of your truck and make it a damn monster.

As for lifts I 2nd your idea of going a full 12" suspension and not have a Body lift. CST would be my first choice in lifts if you have the $$$ with their 9-11" lift kit ( http://californiasupertrucks.com/products/?make=GM&drive=4WD&productID=82 ). Another good company for big lifts is Cognito and i beleive their kits are 10-12" lift kits ( http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/ ). Full throttle would be the next best lift ( www.fullthrottlesuspension.com ). There are other ocmpanies that offer big lifts but I cant think of them all right now and im sure someone else who knows more will chime in.

For the back lifts blocks will lift the back end and retain the stock ride, however the bigger the block the more the axle wraps. Another more expensive option would be to get a bigger leaf spring pack like those big deaver leaf springs. They will make your springs however you would like. I have a set of deavers and took out my blocks and I think it was well worth it. Hope this helped and Happy Hunting.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Couldnt have said it much better myself. The cognito and CST kits are top notch and you would be very well off with either. I would personally spend the extra cash and get the leafs in the back, you will be much happier in the long run with them.

·
2,451 Posts
If your gonna be hard core wheeling alot, go with the cognito steering replacements. this will help you prevent being stuck on the trail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts