GMC Truck Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
496BB
1,749 Posts
Cops don't even look at you in KS. There rednecks all over the place running 6" blocks up front and shit.

sent front my Big Block Huawei HD

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nothing like Maryland's laws, last time I was stopped I was fined over $800 with mandatory court

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Anyone know if it's legal in SC to drive without a front bumper? Mine is messed up from an accident and not worth reinstalling after I installed a body lift. Just looking to drive it like this until I find a new one.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I got a question, are 2.5 ton axles legal for street use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
you'd know if they are legal, if you read your state's lift laws.

the axles themselves are legal as long as they are on a legal vehicle for your state and are not too wide. Given your state does not have any laws saying pinion brakes are illegal.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got a question, are 2.5 ton axles legal for street use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
There are a few laws that run into running these..
1..you did not say what state you are from.
2.. I don't think any states let pinion brakes on the road. I wouldn't want them anyway on the road, they heat up too fast since the pinion spins so fast. As for wheel brakes they are super expensive. The cheapest quote was 450 a corner. So if you are running stock brakes which need 20 inch wheels you will need a lot of offset to make the width requirement....That leads to the tires being right at the suspention and steering.
3.. tire size...Plus for street use they have a massive gear ratio 6:72 so you will need to run atleast a 40 or larger and atleast a 4-5 speed trans(depends on the tire size you can run).
4...bumper height...Also you will need a decent amount of lift to clear the engine etc since they are a top loader axle.
5.. How far can the tires stick out of the fenders, some states care and some don't.

If any of those laws exist in the state you are from and you follow them. If not atleast dont do pinion brakes and drive 100 down the road.

For example.. I looked into this for my 83 build, the rear axle with wheel brakes and a locker was 1500 and a 74 inch wms. The front with wheel brakes needs to be narrowed to match the rear. That would of been 500 to narrow, 500 a corner for wheel brakes and 500 for the locker. Making it right at 3500 for a pair to bolt in. Then with a 6 inch lift and 40s I still don't make the 30-32 inch bumper height.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,411 Posts
Anyone going off information from a 5 year old thread and not researching is an idiot. Let alone complaining about the link in a 5 yr old thread

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a great site that I found that has gathered all the code,statues, etc for lifted trucks. Good info that should be a sticky here.
www.LiftLaws.com
Thanks for the posting a link to this site. It is nice that it doesn't only list the laws on lifting your truck but it also lists other stuff to. I almost bout 4 spotlights for my truck which would have been over the maximum amount of spot lights (2 Spotlights are the maximum) allowed in Wisconsin. It is also nice to know how much I can lift my truck too. Thanks again

81 - 98 of 98 Posts