GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, 1st off... awesome site! Ive spent the morning reading tons of threads in the lifted forum and I can honetly say you guys really know your chit!
Im here for life now, and need some guidance from you guys on lifting my 02 Chrevy 4wd 5.3ltr V8 Chevy tahoe with the auto4wd crap.
I know hardly anything about lifting trucks, tires & wheel combos, but im a fast learner. the truck is about paid off, it my daily driver but my comute to work is about 7 miles. I wanted the lifeted look, but i really dont 4wd to much. just in the snow and down fire roads, fields, and minor 4wd stuff like that. not sure about body lifts or what im completly new to this. im also interested on how the bigger tires affects the motor. i dont have a ton of cash, so a few grand in what im looking to spend. thanks.

What do I need to make my stock tahoe LOOK like this, or maybe a little lower? what are my options? Thanks!!
tahoetheone.jpg

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
a few grand isnt gunna get you a whole lot in the lifted world. that might get your suspension...if you just wanted something simple you could get ford torsion keys coil spacers for the rear and some 285s on some nice wheels or some 33x12.50 on a 20" wheel or somthing...

welcome

that truck has a 6" susp 35"s and what appear to be 17"s.

lift 1500
wheels 600
tires 1200
gears 1000

=4300 thats just an estimate though that would show you around about what the ballpark average would be for a setup like that if you bought everything new. you can do without gears but its gunna slow your truck down shitty gasmileage and more stress on the trans and stuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks. any idea on how much higher that would get me? what re "keys"?

can you post links to the parts your descrbing? thanks.

EDIT: is this the body lift i need? and draw backs? this will get me 3inches
http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=28192&ProductID=77088

how can i get another 3"'s for a total of 6 above stock height?

what kind of tires are in the pick, the kind that have some tread on the side? mud type tires im guessing? thanks again..

EDIT 2: im think of going with this combo, and maybe the body lift as well.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2175737
thanks for the guidance, i dont want to make any mistakes so im all ears and open to ANY suggestions on accomplishing my goal. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
hey man....dont BodyLift the tahoe.

Go with a 6" suspension and a set of 35's....black wheels and your good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why no body lift?

do i still need keys? how do i get it level.. my front sits lower, does the 6inch kit do that also? thanks.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
you could do a body lift, keys, and coil spacers for roughly 5" of lift..the body lift is about $350, keys and spacers another $200 total..its the cheapest youll get without going a full lift.. some stock z71 rims and 35s and that would fit and not rub..thats what i was going to do with mine before i lowered it..the tahoes hide the body lift pretty good with the running boards

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Dont buy keys! dont bodylift!

If your gonna do it, do it right. 4"-6" suspension lift and 33" to 35" tires. You can make that tahoe sit level by simply turning the torsion bar key bolts just a few turns after your lift is on.

I had a bodylift once....its ok, but everyone and their mama has one and sorry if this offends, but they just look cheap...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the tires in that picture are nitto mud grapplers... i wouldnt suggest them they are extremely loud
ok cool, whaty tires have that look but arent loud on the street? and not terribly expensive. i dont need the best of the best. i just need to get er dun right! thanks fellas...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
dude slow down. for street look into some kind of all terrian tire. quit asking us and go to a dealership or different manufacturer websites and pick what you like.

toyo, nitto, bfg, micky thompson, pro comp....are all decent brands

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If it was me with my tahoe that i used to have which was an 03' model.

Since your not offroading alot if at all and you jsut want it higher and with that look. Id go with a decent 4" suspension and a 33" tires.

I could name a ton of brands if it was me id look for one with the best warranty and then research that particualer brand on here and other various sites...you will find good and bad about all.

cognito, bds, rancho, rough country, fabtech, pro comp, rcd...these are all suspensions brands....thats only a few too.

pro comp would be your cheapest beat i do believe. dont quote me anybody...this is just if memory serves me right. dont own a tahoe anymore, never actually reasarched the lifts for em.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Well, let's go about this logically & in order of importance. Which things would you like to do first? (in no particular order)

1. wheels/tires or just tires & keep the stock rims
2. lift (body or suspension)
3. performance (gears, brake upgrade, power)

Circumstances will dictate which come first. ie: tires wearing out so you may go that route.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
By chance do you know what gears you have now?

What size rims/tires do you have now? What do plan to upgrade to? Something mild like 285's on 8 inch rims?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no, stock gears. 5.3 with the auto 4wd crap. its kinda a turd, but only bc the damn thing shifts to early.. bogs down when going to the next gear if im going up a steep incline trying to get upto 60 mph. if i hit the TOW button, which disengages the OD and runs more RMPS before shifting it runs great.

16" rims now, prob going with 17 or 18s. 18s unless i shouldnt..

ill get whatvere will get my truck to look like the above.. or close at least. let me know, i trust you guys.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
You can get in to a lift, wheels, and tires for less than $3k I promise. I've got used BFG's in my garage waiting on my new wheels and lift to get here. Find some good used tires on Craigslist if you're looking to save money. All in all I've spent about $2300. That number will drop when I sell my stock wheels and tires in the next couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts