GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start modifications to my fully stock ECSB '12 1500. Wanting to run 33" tires and increase off-road performance. It will be my daily driver and my weekend mountain adventure mobile. Multiple times a year I end up in extremely rugged terrain that fully maxes out stock suspension and do want want to get stuck or stranded in remote wilderness locations.

As all suspension components could use an upgrade I'm leaning towards a Fabtech 4" uniball lift and doing add-a-leafs in the back. 2007-18 2&4WD Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra 1500 4

I was previously considering doing a camburg 2" front mid-travel suspension upgrade but it's a tough pill to swallow spending $2k and only getting 2" of lift up front but REALLY like the idea of gettign 10.5" of travel.

I'm still considering only doing a leveling kit and bigger tires for now to save $$$.

Plan is to run 33" mud tires on 17" wheels most of the year and snow tires on stock wheels in winter. I realize I may have to had a spacer for the stock wheels to work w some lift kits.

Other upgrades I'm considering:
  • Rear drum to disk brake conversion
  • change from 3.42 to 3.73 gearing (do I have to do both front and rear?)
  • Adding G80 locking diff.
  • Maybe add rear air bags helpers for my random heavy loads/hauling.
  • Replace old bushings w some new prothane ones.
  • Steel front and rear bumper
  • steel rock sliders
I'm ok with cutting and trimming plastic.

Overall I am looking for performance and durability - not looks. Tell me any red flags or obvious things I should be considering.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts
Would not recommend that "lift." Its basically an over stretched leveling kit with fancy coil overs. If you want that much lift your bes bet would be a full drop lift. 33s will easily fit with just a 2 inch level on a modest offset wheel. If you're will to spend that much dough on a lift look into a bds with fox coils and ucas.

Also 4.10 instead of 3.73s, 3.73s are not enough of a jump to be worth it. And yes both front and rear need to be done

Reactions: WYHunter

·
n. fil-dert.
7,085 Posts
Agreed on camburg. The myth is that you need lift. What you need is enough clearance and articulation to do what you want to do with the truck. 33s will fit if you don't go crazy with offset, if you plan on wheeling it you shouldn't anyways. I have been guilty of the jacked up truck thing - - if I ever lift a truck again function will take precedence over form all day. low CG is the ticket if you actually drive the truck.

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts
A 5 inch rcx lift and 35s on a 14 will tackle any jeep trail around here, that's not saying much though 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 5 inch rcx lift and 35s on a 14 will tackle any jeep trail around here, that's not saying much though 😂
Nice. Yeah I originally wanted to run 35's, but seems like the total lift + tires puts the truck up a bit too high for what I consider a daily driver... But do you have any pics? You like the way your rig rides?

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts

It road pretty good, it had fox coil obers up front and fox shocks/bds lift springs in the rear, swapped to 4.10s but should have done 4.56s. I dailied for 2 ish years at this hight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed on camburg. The myth is that you need lift. What you need is enough clearance and articulation to do what you want to do with the truck. 33s will fit if you don't go crazy with offset, if you plan on wheeling it you shouldn't anyways. I have been guilty of the jacked up truck thing - - if I ever lift a truck again function will take precedence over form all day. low CG is the ticket if you actually drive the truck.
What is "CG"?

Camburg recommends a 4.75" offset so that's what I was looking at. I totally agree with your points. Part of my issue with the non-camburg kits are you raise the truck up 4+ inches, then have to add diff drop crossmembers down so low that you lose all of ground clearance you just gained... Seems counter intuitive.

·
Super Moderator
6,173 Posts
Center of gravity- cg

Well with a 4in spacer kit like the one you were originally looking at, if you’re 4wd. Your suspension angles will look like a geometry test, and your cvs will bind when articulating.

You can always add a 1.25ij body lift. To keep your suspension geometry good and fit larger tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 871551
View attachment 871552 It road pretty good, it had fox coil obers up front and fox shocks/bds lift springs in the rear, swapped to 4.10s but should have done 4.56s. I dailied for 2 ish years at this hight.
That looks great! Sharp truck.

Separate question.. I've been looking up info on swapping/upgrading the gearing and only finding info and parts for the rear. Can't find info/threads on the front diff and doesn't seem to be any conversion kits for sale. I'm looking at 4.10, but will look in to 4.56 if I go w 35's.

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts
2 inch level, 1.25 body lift, 34x11.5 tires on +6 18x9 wheels

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts
That looks great! Sharp truck.

Separate question.. I've been looking up info on swapping/upgrading the gearing and only finding info and parts for the rear. Can't find info/threads on the front diff and doesn't seem to be any conversion kits for sale. I'm looking at 4.10, but will look in to 4.56 if I go w 35's.
I just shoved an ebay kit in it. Was like 750 for the pair I think. I'll see if I can find it again

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts
Elite gears was the brand kit I used

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 inch level, 1.25 body lift, 34x11.5 tires on +6 18x9 wheels
View attachment 871553
That looks great. I hadn't really considered a body lift kit but I guess it makes sense to get some bigger tires on, especially if it allows me to keep my factory driveline alignments. Do you have to raise the bumpers to get rid of any gap?

·
Super Moderator
5,995 Posts
That looks great. I hadn't really considered a body lift kit but I guess it makes sense to get some bigger tires on, especially if it allows me to keep my factory driveline alignments. Do you have to raise the bumpers to get rid of any gap?
Yes you need bumper spacers. If you have rear fender liners you can't even really tell that there is a body lift on it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welp, made the decision to buy the Camburg/FOX PERFORMANCE 2.5 KIT w 0-3" of lift and do add-a-leafs for additional 1" in the rear, called Camburg and they are two months back-ordered. F. So, going to go w a leveling kit, Method NV 305's, 295/70/17 tires, and 4.56 gears for now and do a more intensive suspension kit later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts