GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 z71 5.3 sierra. I already have 20" wheels that I would like to use, i beieve 8.5 wide. I want to do a lift and put 35's on the wheels. The dealer in my town can get me BDS and fabtech 6 inch suspension kits. any opinions on either of these two kits? what about 3inch body? I am completly new to lifts and pretty much anything to do with suspension so all the help i can get would be great. will i need to do different gears with this set up?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wheel wise you could possibly be cutting it close on the backspacing, Im not sure about the BDS, but the Fabtech is a knuckle lift. with the larger knuckles you can only have so much backspacing on the wheels. Some people on here are on both sides of the fence with the Fab... I dont really have an opinion either way. As for gearing I assume you have 3.73's. With 35's you can get away with it, but regearing is something you should do, at least to get rid of the crap ass GM G80 locker. Im getting 4.88's and and Auburn LSD installed in a couple weeks. My one suggestion is get more lift than you think you want now... You will want more in the future. I wish I would have put in a 10 Cognito now.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Rather run a cepek 9" than a fabtech

·
Registered
84 Posts
BDS is a knuckle kit. you can run stock rims with it. so your 20s will work fine. BDS is an AAA++ kit in my book. not fond of pro comp or fabtech. just my opinion.

9,777 Posts
BDS is a knuckle kit. you can run stock rims with it. so your 20s will work fine. BDS is an AAA++ kit in my book. not fond of pro comp or fabtech. just my opinion.
If it is a knuckle kit then you CAN'T run stock rims right?

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
If it is a knuckle kit then you CAN'T run stock rims right?
Somewhat correct. Maybe not in all applications or circumstances. With a knuckle lift you are limited with the amount of wheel backspacing that you can run as compared to a full drop kit. Knuckle lift = taller aftermarket spindle "possible interference"

Full drop = everything is drop down from stock. Just taller everything else is basically the same. Same stock spindle "factory backspacing still allowed"

I am still of the opinion that knuckle lifts are stronger than full drop lift kits. The strength is in the design. Anybody can claim theirs has been fine or anything else. When it comes down to the mechanical design knuckle lifts are stronger.........why I chose to run Cognito Suspension.

·
Registered
84 Posts
6" GM K1500 Pickup 4WD

Base Price $1,813.76

Front 6" IFS System

Rear 5.5" Block & Add-a-leaf

This kit is based around two one-piece, ¼” laser cut high clearance crossmembers and replacement steering knuckles. The high clearance crossmembers increase ground clearance for off road performance. Compression struts are included to support the crossmembers under impact. The replacement steering knuckles reduce installation time as well as maintain proper steering angles and ball joint angles. The stock wheels with stock tires will fit on the vehicle after it is lifted, but you cannot run larger tires on the stock wheels. A differential skid plate is included for off road protection. An option front stainless steel skid plate is also available.

Max. Tire Size: 35" x 12.50
Max. Wheel Size: 16 x 8
Back Spacing: 4.5"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts