GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Silverado 5.3L and noticed a ticking noising coming from the front driver's side of the engine. It looks like I have a broken exhaust manifold bolt and just thought it was an exhaust leak. My mechanic took a listen yesterday briefly while I had some other work done and thought it sounded like it was coming from inside the engine. He said it may be a lifter tick. I only hear it in neutral with the hood open from about 1600-2200RPM. Any higher than that and either it goes away or the sound of the engine drowns it out. Does this sound like a lifter and is it anything I should be too worried about? I put some Seafoam in the oil and ran the engine for 30 mins/15 miles before changing it with some Mobil 1 High Mileage and a PF46. I am still hearing the noise though. Chris

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That is a great video! I'd try and run it with 1/2 quart of Dextron III transmission fluid for a bit then drain it and refill with fresh motor oil and about 4 oz of marvel mystery oil. The tick, if not loud, is nothing to worry about. Sometimes the old Italian tune up job of a few WOT starts will take care of it.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
91 Posts
:shake:
That is a great video! I'd try and run it with 1/2 quart of Dextron III transmission fluid for a bit then drain it and refill with fresh motor oil and about 4 oz of marvel mystery oil. The tick, if not loud, is nothing to worry about. Sometimes the old Italian tune up job of a few WOT starts will take care of it.

Mr. 960

1 - 4 of 4 Posts