GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 01 2500 Suburban 4x4 i use for towing, road trips, and light off roading. I want a little more ground clearance so i've been thinking about lifting it 6" with some 35's, but im hearing alot of people say its a bad idea. I've heard its a pain with the factory autoride and the front a-arms will be a weak point in the suspension. I thought i would see what people here have to say. Is it worth it? How will ride quality be affected? Will i have to regear? Would i be able to stay in the $3000 area for the lift? Any recomendations on a specific kit?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
id go for it, ride shouldnt be affected too much if you dont crank it. i think the 6" procomp kit would be the best bang for your buck kit with the mx6 shocks.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
I've got an 01 2500 Suburban 4x4 i use for towing, road trips, and light off roading. I want a little more ground clearance so i've been thinking about lifting it 6" with some 35's, but im hearing alot of people say its a bad idea. I've heard its a pain with the factory autoride and the front a-arms will be a weak point in the suspension. I thought i would see what people here have to say. Is it worth it? How will ride quality be affected? Will i have to regear? Would i be able to stay in the $3000 area for the lift? Any recomendations on a specific kit?

Thanks guys!
I don't know about the factory autoride, nor have heard of any control arm issues.

You will have to regear with 35's if you want any performance or towing ability. 4.56 or 4.88 gears will do you just fine. If you are on the highway more times then not, go with 4.56s. Your gas mileage will not suffer.

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
I have a 1500 2001 Suburban. I havent had any problems with the A Arms and I did regear. I went with 4.56's.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
You can dis-able auto-ride if you want.

There is a guy on here with a 2500 Burb lifted with 37's... :boobs:

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
do leaf sprung 2500 burbs even have autoride?

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
i dont see it being to big of a problem... what do you tow with it exactly?

nicholas used to tow his k5 with his 8.1 2500hd, shoot him a pm and see what he has to say. i think he has 3.73s though iirc

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
From what he told me towing in OD near 55mph sucked. but once you were going faster and the RPMS were higher the 8.1L didnt care!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts