GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
PSE Archery Pro
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..please bear with me...I actually debated about making a new thread but after hours of searching and reading and getting a decent grip on this, I still need some input..

Truck; 1999 Tahoe 4 Door, 4WD

Wheels; Ordered today, Cragar Soft 8's in 16x8, 5 inch backspacing (factory wheel is a 5.5, no?)

Biggest dilemna is tire size, of course...I WAS gonna stick 285's on, but I got talking to a buddy who owns a garage and does lifts, he said he could do Ford keys and crank, and a 1 inch block in the rear for "$2-3 hundred"...Seems fair to me, as mentioned, I have zero mechanic skills.. Looks like I would be able to run a tire bigger than the 285's I ahve been planning on..

I may very well go this route, becaus eof course, bigger is better - right? UNLESS I have to screw with the shocks, ie; replace or put spacers on..they are pretty much brand new..KRB's or something...

BUT...from my research and searching, there is not too much difference in a 285, 295, or even a 305 on a 16 inch wheel?

Cliff notes;

Plan A; Slight crank on current keys, 285's on 16x8's.

Plan B; Ford Keys, 1 inch block, 16 x 8's and ??????????? WHAT TIRES!?!?!

Again - totally NOT interested in replacing shocks. Front airdam is already off, and I do not mind trimming a bit of the bumper.

·
Registered
109 Posts
you don't need ford keys on an obs... crank your stock ones.

·
GMC Owner
1,534 Posts
Crank the stock keys. 1" blocks are about 30 bucks from AutoZone.

and go 295/75/16

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes. I think you need new u bolts with the blocks. Someone else will chime in I'm sure to confirm or disprove this.

·
GMFS member
60 Posts
Yea put longer ubolts on there when changing out, you cant use the stockers. You minus well just go two inch blocks as well. Sits better :imo

·
PSE Archery Pro
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the kit comes with them but I am sure he will take care of that. 2 inch block...nice - good thinking!

Can't tell you all how excited I am about all of this! LOL!

·
2 Door Hoes
3,137 Posts
I think the kit comes with them but I am sure he will take care of that. 2 inch block...nice - good thinking!

Can't tell you all how excited I am about all of this! LOL!
I personally wouldn't put 2" blocks on the back. The 4dr Tahoes tend to sag a lot more in the rear unlike the 2drs so a 2" block may work, but when I put a 2" block in the rear I couldn't get it to sit level even with Ford keys.

Also, I wouldn't get Ford keys. I wish I wouldn't, because you can crank the stock OBS keys more than enough.

I'd run 305s too, I think they'll look better than the 295s

·
PSE Archery Pro
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So 1 inch block, crank the current keys and go 305...cool..thanks for the input!

I am looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers right now. seem like a decent option...

·
2 Door Hoes
3,137 Posts
So 1 inch block, crank the current keys and go 305...cool..thanks for the input!

I am looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers right now. seem like a decent option...
I would go Maxxis Bighorns. Cheap, look better than A/Ts, wear pretty good, and they are a M/T.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
i so thought this was going to be a lift install thread..... not a fuckin torsion bar crank thread

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
The only thing I was going to mention is shocks...A crank is a crank, ford keys or not. So you're ride will get stiffer. You can get a set of new 2" lift shocks for the front for dirt cheap on ebay. It will help a bit. Post pics when its all buttoned up

·
dunemashingismyspieclty
753 Posts
305\70\16s will fit with the OBS crank and will not rub IMO

here is A NBS with 305\70\16s no rub except on revers and full look...and trimming made it pefect

after new keys

i know yours is an OBS but you got the idea

·
GMFS member
60 Posts
I personally wouldn't put 2" blocks on the back. The 4dr Tahoes tend to sag a lot more in the rear unlike the 2drs so a 2" block may work, but when I put a 2" block in the rear I couldn't get it to sit level even with Ford keys.

Also, I wouldn't get Ford keys. I wish I wouldn't, because you can crank the stock OBS keys more than enough.

I'd run 305s too, I think they'll look better than the 295s
I suppose, but i personally would rather it be ass high then low. unless it will sit level, then do it.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
Here's what you do Dan. Run my old setup. 2 inch BL, 1 inch block, crank the stock keys minimal to level, and run 305's. Simple, cost efficent, will get you in the air some, and wont kill the ride.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Here's what you do Dan. Run my old setup. 2 inch BL, 1 inch block, crank the stock keys minimal to level, and run 305's. Simple, cost efficent, will get you in the air some, and wont kill the ride.
off topic but how long do u plan to keep the hoe?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts