GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm just curious as to if any suggestions as to what I should run for my new rims/tires. I'm love my rims to death but they're just too heavy seeing as how I'm taking a performance approach to my truck now.

I want the truck to look good(obviously), but I need something that's pretty light. I can't afford Intros this time around and quite frankly I don't want to.

I'm thinking of going with some centerlines but it seems like everybody has the stingray III's. Let me know what y'all would do.

Also, does anybody know how much escalade rims weigh?

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
what weight do you consider lightweight?

..I still love my stingray's btw :crazy:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What's wrong with it now? Be realistic, it's an extended cab truck. Not exactly meant for land speed records :)

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's wrong with it now? Be realistic, it's an extended cab truck. Not exactly meant for land speed records :)
That's awful closed minded thinking. I want to be able to run 13's on full street trim so I can have fun with my truck on the street. There's nothing wrong with the current rims, I just want something new and lighter.

As far as what I consider lightweight I'm not entirely sure.

Anybody have any idea on how much the American Racing RT-S rims run?. I'll pm gmracer and see what he says.

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
if I remember right my stingrays weigh in at a supposed 26lbs a wheel.. that's considered light for a 20 inch wheel I guess, but my friends(import owners) have wheels that weigh closer to 10lbs.. I'm not sure how lightweight of a wheel you'd really want for a 5000lb truck.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I remember right my stingrays weigh in at a supposed 26lbs a wheel.. that's considered light for a 20 inch wheel I guess, but my friends(import owners) have wheels that weigh closer to 10lbs.. I'm not sure how lightweight of a wheel you'd really want for a 5000lb truck.
Well I'll put it this way, my intros feel about a second slow in the 1/4 than with my stocker on 265/75/16's.

does anybody know if these supposed 07+ rims will work with our trucks?
http://www.bigjimsrims.com/black-inch-p-61.html

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the offset which I would think would be better to tuck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's awful closed minded thinking. I want to be able to run 13's on full street trim so I can have fun with my truck on the street. There's nothing wrong with the current rims, I just want something new and lighter.

As far as what I consider lightweight I'm not entirely sure.

Anybody have any idea on how much the American Racing RT-S rims run?. I'll pm gmracer and see what he says.
It's not closed minded. Like I said, realistic. Your truck weighs approximately 2.5 tons. Saving 40 pounds of wheel weight isn't going to make a huge difference, even though it's rotating mass. You're going to see much bigger gains through regearing, tuning, supercharging, etc than you will by swapping your wheels to something lighter.

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
Well I'll put it this way, my intros feel about a second slow in the 1/4 than with my stocker on 265/75/16's.

does anybody know if these supposed 07+ rims will work with our trucks?
http://www.bigjimsrims.com/black-inch-p-61.html

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the offset which I would think would be better to tuck.
those should work just fine... the majority of the weight being further out on the wheel is going to make you slower than if you just had a smaller wheel no matter what though. :imo

It's not closed minded. Like I said, realistic. Your truck weighs approximately 2.5 tons. Saving 40 pounds of wheel weight isn't going to make a huge difference, even though it's rotating mass. You're going to see much bigger gains through regearing, tuning, supercharging, etc than you will by swapping your wheels to something lighter.
it is realistic, but if he could do all that and still improve by having lighter wheels what's the problem?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe me, you don't have to tell me about that. Like I said I'm going to try and hit 13's N/A and I've done my research.
I'm running a 5.3L with a tr224/cam/and eventually a 3200 stall and 150 wet shot.

The point of getting lighter rims isn't saving 80 pounds off a 5000 pound truck, it's that if I can cut off 20pounds off the wheels there is that much less rotating mass I have to worry about.

Like I stated, there is a big difference between my intros and stock rims as far as acceleration.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
your intros are chrome arent they though? thats alotta extra weight right there
yes they are chrome cast wheels. I love the way they look. IMO, there isn't a better looking wheel out there. It's just like I said, I'm looking for something a little more "race" inspired.

I realize that lighweight 20's is kinda an oxymoron, but I was trying to see if anybody had any input on the matter.

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
As I understand it, removing rotating mass is equivalent to removing 3x the amount of fixed mass (to achieve comparable acceleration times)..so by all means do it. People consistently run a half second quicker with lightweight wheels and tires on trucks.

Check out the performancetrucks.net wheel/tire weight thread:
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127780

I'll try just linking the image here too:

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
if your serious about performance why not go down to a 18's? even less weight, better sidewall flex on the rears, more choices on tire widths that are going to be better suited to drag racing and such.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It's for apearence and performance. Rotating mass makes a huge difference and will also save on braking power not just 0-60.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if your serious about performance why not go down to a 18's? even less weight, better sidewall flex on the rears, more choices on tire widths that are going to be better suited to drag racing and such.
Well I wanted something that would look good in a 20" rims but wouldn't slow me down as much as mine do. I think my question is becoming a little unrealistic though. I realize that the greater rotating mass makes a big difference, but I was hoping to find a lighter rims that might offset the change in physics.

EDIT- I have a set of stock wheels right now to take to the track so that's not the problem.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Go with centerlines and avoid huge goodyear GTIIs. I wasn't using an accurate scale, but my wheels were just a tad over 50-55 lbs each mounted and balanced on 245/40/20 hankook tires.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
your best bet in 20"ers will be centerlines for sure... especially for the pricerange you are looking for. If you didnt mind dropping the coin, you could always call up HRE or Bogart... but your talking probably a grand per wheel... before tires. I wouldnt do it either. IMO, go with centerlines or something 18"s. my 18" torque thrusts didnt feel much different than my stockers did at the track honestly. But for the best of both worlds, I'd say, get some centerlines for the street and keep your stock 16's for the track and give'em hell... maybe even go to the track with both sets and see what the difference is just so you know for sure... a second isnt an unrealistic difference.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
And for the guy's wondering "why would you try to race an extended cab fullsize truck??" tell me this... why the hell not... its fun as hell to see the looks you get when you lay down a good pass and embarass some sports car, ask me how I know.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
155 Posts
every 100#s' is a tenth of a second i believe...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts