GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dunes today and lost my alignment. I got air a couple times and when the uca comes down on the droop stop it forces the front uca bolt to slide away from the frame and the rear bolt to slide towards the frame. Basically giving me more positive caster and of course fucking up my camber and toe. I wrench down on them as hard as i can with a breaker bar before i go (i'm not a weak guy so i know they're tight). Every once in awhile (like today and once last year) they will still move. I'm going to order some straps from poly performance so the uca's are no longer holding up my suspension when I get in the rough stuff.

Lets say it's x inches from shock eye to shock eye at droop. Should i order an inch or so less than that to account for stretch? I would just order the cognito uca and limit strap kit but really don't feel like spending that much right now.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
it will definetly need to be alittle shorter but not much. what i would do is use a jack and lift up the truck and let the suspension droop all the way and measure say from the ground to your fender and then let the suspension down 1" or so then measure from where you would be mounting your straps.

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good call. That seems like it would be a pretty accurate way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
silver lake. hmmmmm... i miss me some silver lake. Im at fort carson in colorado and its cool and all, but i miss the dunes. the closest things we have are like 4 hours south

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a good time there

so anyone know how much they stretch per say 20"? They have them in double and quad thickness so obviously the double will stretch more. not sure which i'll go with yet.

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah but they are for use with their uca's which allow further droop than the stock ones

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still though, the 7-9 with cognito uca's droops further than the 7-9 with stock uca's.

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered some poly performance quad ply straps im going to run from shock eye to shock eye. They'll be here tuesday. :big_banana_Dance:

·
Hella
918 Posts
I ordered some poly performance quad ply straps im going to run from shock eye to shock eye. They'll be here tuesday. :big_banana_Dance:

Thats what I got, Love em so far. I feel good supporting a local company here in San Luis Obispo too, guys are mostly Cal Poly grads. Hence the name Poly Performance. Id probably pick somewhere on the frame though, I mounted mine on the tabs used for the drop brackets for the pro comp lift, just my .02 cents probably a bit more solid then eye to eye.

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll do something different later on. Once i get the cognito uca's I'll get a clevis and weld the mount on the frame. This is better than nothing though and will get me through the rest of the summer.

·
Hella
918 Posts
I'll do something different later on. Once i get the cognito uca's I'll get a clevis and weld the mount on the frame. This is better than nothing though and will get me through the rest of the summer.
Ive had lots of cases like that, totally see where your coming from though. Im sure you could give those guys a call though and get ones that are an inch ~ or so longer. Most Bolts on those lift tabs are plenty long for straps too, I did have to buy longer ones for the lower shock mount though just an FYI. And you will need to space it out if your shock bodies are downward, just use some washers or else the strap tabs will rub the shock body.

Should turn out rad though. :shake:

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the bodies are on top. I have the shock stem eliminator kit on mine so it'll look just like motoheads.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
make sure to post up some pics, i was thinking of getting some since I have the Cognito Arms and powdercoated them and dont want to screw them up. i dont really need them except for the couple times a year im out in the dunes or desert

1 - 20 of 35 Posts