GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 84 k10 truck and the the pinion bearings are crapping out in the rear 10 bolt. i just bought a 14 bolt and i'm gonna get it over easter, in the meantime i've been thinking about "installing" a lincoln locker in my old axle if you know what i mean. i just don't know how well i'm gonna be able to drive on the street. i remember driving my cousins old derby car with welded spiders and it chirped like a bitch. should i break out the welder now or wait until i'm closer to puttin in the 14 bolt? all i know is that old derby car tore it up in the mud!

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
if i were to do it, i would wait about 1 week before you are putting in the better rear end, and thats if it lasts 1 week.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Drew, with your pinion bearings how they are its going to tear your shit to bits. Would be fun to do though once you are ready to swap in the 14 bolt. Did you ever send the deposit to the guy? Last I talked to him he still didnt have it.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
I would wait til you physically get the axle and its prepped and ready for installation. Then break out the welder and lock it up good. From the sounds of it the internals of this axle are already pretty much spent, so lock it, take it out, and have some fun.

One thing to remember though, parts that you are trying to break no matter what condition can sometimes mysteriously last forever whilst everything else breaks. Once your ready for some abuse on it just keep in mind that the weakest link is almost always the link that fails, and hopefully it will just be your already roached 10 bolt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i kinda figured it would tear up the gears since the backlash is so damn loose.
I figure i'll probably just leave it in 2 wheel so i can limp home in 4 i'm wondering if the u joint will break too. but i have to match up the shaft to the 1350 so it wouldn't be too bad to replace the u joint

1 - 5 of 5 Posts