GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I discovered the waterpump bolts are tty the hard way. All this talk of studs and aircraft hardware everywhere else and I still snapped a one time use stretch bolt, on the advice of message boards. Note to self, LS groups are the same guys from SBC groups in the 90s 馃ぃ

Fastforward, I've got stainless studs for the waterpump on the way, as well as Allen aircraft stainless for the tstat and ARP chromo 12PT intake manifold bolts. Now everything I have to strip to mess with headgaskets is sorta kinda aircraft grade. Erp chromo 12pt headbolts, ARP chromo 12pt IM bolts, stainless studded waterpump, and chromo grd12.5 studs for the exhaust. Mls gaskets be damned, I can now bend stuff with the hardware lol.

That leaves us with what I KNOW is behind the waterpump. We all know when you overtorque a stretch BOLT it snaps right at the surface of what its threading into.

That said, I lost all my powertools in a storage incident. So Im buying an 18v lithium drill and a portable drillpress. Since Im studding it I can get away with drilling the hole a smidge tight for the stud, then putting jb weld on the stud and cranking it in. Ive done this with the coils on kholer vtwins in the shop before, it will be great.

BUT, I've always wanted lithium cordless shop tools. The things Id use most are an angle grinder, a sawsall, an impact drill, and a 1/2" impact.

Milwaukee makes all of those and it looks like they share batteries.

Looking for reviews compared to hilti, rigid, snapoff, and crapsman for good measure (crapsman is now dewalt right?)

Lemme know what yall got

Registered
Discussion Starter #2

Im sure I can find better prices, but this set of tools should all share batteries and allow me to fully disassemble a GMT800 at a shop with only solar Im thinking... just, LOTS of batteries...

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The 1/4" hex impact drill will work with an portable drillpress I guess is the main question here, it will will take 录" hex drill bits but Im not sure if the portable drill press will couple to it? I want impact for doing light 鈪 impact stuff with it later on... trying to have the most versatile mechanics battery tools...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4

This guy is 录" hex input so this should work, yay

Im not buying trash here am I?

Registered
Im seriously just still confused and shocked on how you confused a 22 ftlb bolt for a tty bolt, and snapped it off

its 22 ft lbs
I was wondering that same thing, when did water pump bolts become tty. Maybe just a good excuse for some new tools.

Registered
I did a H2O pump on my GMC a while ago & as I was reading this, I was thinking, did I miss something? I don't remember reading any TTY specs for the torque on those bolts . . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts