GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Stars and bars aficionado
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so on my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 I swapped the flasher relay and installed an LED flasher relay. That fixed my hyper blinking. I've got LEDs installed on reverse, rear signals, front DRLs, and front signals. Will I still need to install load equalizers in the back for my tail/brake lights and if so should I wire them in parallel or in series? I've read about ppl using resistors for interior lighting but I have led in all my interior with no problems and I could use them without resistors in my tail lights but it causes my cruise control to stop working. I'm just wondering with the flash relay upgrade am I good to go or do I still need the resistors? And I've also read about the DRLs having issues but mine are good so far but I may be back with questions on those if anything changes. Thanks y'all馃槉!

Super Moderator
If you installed a led flasher relay that should be all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
My cruise control also stopped working after I installed LED rear lights and LED third brake light. Upgraded to LED relay flasher and that did not fix the issue. I had to go back to my original third brake light to get my cruise control working again. I don't have any load resistors in my system.

Some dude on the internet
If the relay doesn't fix the issue (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't), you'll need a load resistor on the third brake light circuit. The resistor will install between the positive side going into the light and chassis ground.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
Discussion Starter #5
My third brake light came with its own resistor already attached and I put in a flasher relay and everything works even my cruise control but I haven't put my brake light bulbs back in yet I figured I'd ask y'all first. And my daytime running lights aren't on now and when I put the incandescent bulbs back in they didn't come on either but it may just be showing its butt cuz I had to get the 4114 bulbs the 3157 kept burning out but I'm not home I'm gonna check on it when I get there I may have em plugged in backwards or something but thanks y'all. I don't wanna use resistors if I don't have to but I got em and I will but if the flasher relay will work for all of em that's great, no sense in goin thru the trouble of installing the resistors.

Some dude on the internet
Right, if it came with one then you're good. As far as the DRL's, just double check your work, maybe you just missed something.

Discussion Starter #7
I forgot they only come on when you drive, duh, I'm a dummy. I had my friend put it in drive and hold the brake. They work and look awesome. I'm glad cuz the guy that got em was supposed to get white and got red. He thought I wanted red cuz my trucks red. But I'm rather impressed at how awesome they look, cuz he got cheap AutoZone ones but whatever. I'd post a pic but it sucks and they don't look red. Now I just need a set for the ones in the middle, my parking lights maybe? Idk what they're called they flash and so does the outer ones but anyway those are still incandescent until I leave in a few minutes. Gotta go to a viewing first, sadly. But thanks again y'all, I guess I'll check my cruise on the way to Cookeville. Hopefully all is still good on that end and I'll be done with that area of customization on my truck.

Discussion Starter #8
My cruise control also stopped working after I installed LED rear lights and LED third brake light. Upgraded to LED relay flasher and that did not fix the issue. I had to go back to my original third brake light to get my cruise control working again. I don't have any load resistors in my system.
Try putting a resistor on the third brake light itself, that's how mine is. Maybe that will work for you. Good luck cuz the led lights look amazing on these trucks.

Discussion Starter #9
If you installed a led flasher relay that should be all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I think it will be, so far so good, thank you for helping out.

Discussion Starter #10
Ok so, today my lights worked great and so did my cruise control. Night time hit and -no cruise control. I'm gonna see if it works tomorrow during the day. If so, then I'm thinking cuz my lights are auto, and only the headlights come on during the day it's fine. But when the tail lights also come on at night it's too much so the cruise quits. So, fuck it. I'ma wire em in tomorrow I guess. The resistors I mean, and I forgot should they be in series or in parallel?

Discussion Starter #12
Ok cool thanks and in the daytime my cruise works at night it don't so it's like I thought: the lights come on automatically but the tail lights only at night so that disables my cruise but I don't use it much anyway I'm too lead footed and ppl have a tendency around here to wanna race cuz the way my truck looks I guess and I usually indulge them to their dismay cuz I don't lose lol. I'm not scared and most of them are and usually back off cuz I know a few of em coulda taken me but their loss. So anyway I'ma keep things like they are unless I need my cruise for night time then I'll use the resistors I saved the diagram thanks for that so maybe all this nonsense will help someone else out. Now that that's done I'ma work on other parts that need fixing. Thanks y'all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts