GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know which way to go in the rear of my toyota. I could swap a full detroit of pur a luckbox locker.
Full Detoit is more money and proven to be a stout unit. Everyone likes them who wheels.
Now my rear third member is a v6 carrier which is a 2 peice similar to a 14 bolt with 4 spider gears(pinions). Re use the stock Cross with an Ez locker, similar to the Detroit No Spin for the 14 bolt. Plus i probably can save a few bucks this route.
Maybe guys with locker install experience can help me. I dont know which way to go?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shit i didnt even check. But i might as well go with the detroit carrier. They are proven IMO

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Shit i didnt even check. But i might as well go with the detroit carrier. They are proven IMO
If the price isn't much different and you can swing the extra amount, I'd say go that route, too. Maybe keep your eye out for a slightly used one like I scored.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think ill go full detroit for less wearing. I got a lunchbox up front though.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
:word: go with the full detroit rear and a lunchbox up front,don't go with a full detroit upfront if you wheel hard,you will turn it into a paper weight
if it's not a dd just weld the rear
you can also swap a toyota elocker out of a late model 4runner

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I've completely changed my way of looking at lockers after the last wheeling trip, the whole detroit/spool in rear and selectable front has gone out the window. It's all about selectable in rear and either selectable or spool in front, the difference in turning radius is insane... Me have ARB's front/rear in new axles. Did that help? lol

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I understand. Selectables are nice. I m hoping i can find a taco with an E locker and takes its Third....

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Detroit lockers are pretty stout. I'm sure you will break axles, pinions and alot of other things before the locker. I ran a 35 spline detroit in my camaro and it went as fast as 8.80 on the fogger. I run a 31 spline unit in my mustang and it runs 11's all day long on motor. Broken pinions, axles never the detroit lol. Maybe I have just been lucky but till one proves me wrong I love them. I am of the opinion though they are much harder on parts than many other lockers and posi units on the market.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
General consensus is that in a rock crawling situation, if you blow a shaft you blow your detroit 80% of the time. They cannot handle the shockload. Now I'm talking at least dana 60 sized stock stuff with low gearing.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
General consensus is that in a rock crawling situation, if you blow a shaft you blow your detroit 80% of the time. They cannot handle the shockload. Now I'm talking at least dana 60 sized stock stuff with low gearing.
Ive only seen this 2x out of probably 15+ axles I have repaired with detroits. One on a front 60, one on a rear 44. It does happen but I would say 80% is a really high guess - from what Ive fixed ive seen it Maybe 10% of the time.

Ive never seen it on an arb or ox...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Ive only seen this 2x out of probably 15+ axles I have repaired with detroits. One on a front 60, one on a rear 44. It does happen but I would say 80% is a really high guess - from what Ive fixed ive seen it Maybe 10% of the time.

Ive never seen it on an arb or ox...

Well I'd say that 95% of detroited front ends that blow joints or shafts have taken out the detroit that I have seen personally and ducted as parts flew. I'm not talking some bouncing around and popping a shaft, more like a 40" krawler waaaay undercut with 4340 shafts and a heavy right foot. Things go boom, locker most of the time.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
my buddy with 37s has a detroit full locker, he loves it but he is always sayin he wishes he had an E-Locker like bigredz...im sure you could contact him about this cause he knows his shit

·
Registered
999 Posts
quit being a girl and put a detroit in it.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill be putting in a detroit in the rear. Well i actually got to work on my front third member last night. I tore the carrier out, removed its guts and installed teh quick lok locker up there and tapped on the ring gear. Today will be carrier bearings, and all the good shit of findning pinion depth and setting backlash. I think i can get it done tonight :crossfinger:

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Marcus, mega bump but do you have any info (tech articles) on the 8" rear? Just curious. Looks like its a pretty long running axle with a removable third member (me gusto). Looks like they are pressed bearings and have the option (spendy option) of a rather painless FF conversion. I'm assuming that in their stock form they should hold up to minimal abuse from a 32-33" tire fairly easily?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts