GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm the newbie here, I got my K5 about 9 months ago, I love taking it off-road. Other than exhaust, K&N, and 32's, I have no mods. I want to get lockers, probobly front and rear. Do you guys have any suggestions for me to make sure I don't screw this up? I have heard that auto lockers are a pain when turning tight corners in parking lots, etc. I'm just looking for suggestions before I go and screw up my truck. Thanks.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
For the back: an auto locker like a detroit would be fine. Detroits are tough as hell and have a great rep.

Front - unless you have manual hubs DONT get a locker unless its selectable. It will suck on the street and tear your front 10 bolt to shreds. Your best bet would be a selectable one like an eaton e-locker or arb air locker.

Also your rear 10 bolt might have a gov-lock in it. Look for RPO code g80 in your gove box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. About how much is a detriot going to cost me for the rear? I have manual hubs on the front.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
for a 10 bolt they are like 500-600 I think. You might serisouly consider upgrading to a 14 bolt semi floater rear axle that is 6 lug - 10 stronger and can be had for under 300 if you look in teh right places.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts