GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the Z71 offroad package comes with a limited slip. I'm the second owner of a 1995 Z71 and the rear doesn't lock also I cannot get it from 4low to 2h without shutting off the truck. Is this normal or do I need to get something serviced? I follow the direction(stop put truck in nutral with break applied shift from 2l to the nutral position with no problem but it grinds when I try to come back into 2h.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If it does have the G80, it might not work. My '94 has it, i don't think it works....

To get mine from 4lo to 2hi i put it in neutral at about a 5 mph roll, then move the shifter all in one motion to 2hi, works real nicely. I think thats in the manual too, but i can't remember.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
i can second havin the G80 and havin it not workin...blew mine spinnin tires on asphalt...i guess it was gonna happen eventually.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
you should be able to shift to 4hi on the fly...i can in my blazer...and its a 91, and im 99% sure the new ones can be shifted into 4hi on the fly too...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You can go into and out of 4hi and 2hi on the fly, but not 4lo, which is what he is asking about.

What works for me is to let the truck roll really slowly and then put the tranny in neutral and it will pop right in/out of 4lo and into anything I want with no problems.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Whifflebat said:
If it does have the G80, it might not work. My '94 has it, i don't think it works....

To get mine from 4lo to 2hi i put it in neutral at about a 5 mph roll, then move the shifter all in one motion to 2hi, works real nicely. I think thats in the manual too, but i can't remember.
:word: about that being in manual

I think the OBS G80's need friction modifier for it to work, so that is something to check also.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn no g80 on the sticker I guess I should look into getting something. Also I can shift between 4hi and 2hi on the fly but going from 4lo to 2hi it grinds really bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I try with the truck in neutral and stopped or slightly rolling and ti grinds the only way to get it not to grind is shut off the truck. Also anyone have an idea on an affordable/cheap way to get a locker.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
sure, weld your spiders gears up, 100% locked all the time and cheap as a welding rod and some new gear oil. Would I recomend it for a street driven truck? No - but its cheap.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
grnjetta6 said:
Damn no g80 on the sticker I guess I should look into getting something. Also I can shift between 4hi and 2hi on the fly but going from 4lo to 2hi it grinds really bad.
Yeah, going into or out of 4lo is not a shift on the fly operation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts