GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an add-a-leaf to my 2017 1500 to help carry the load I have back there now. I was level, now slightly lower. With an empty truck, this kit is said to add 2 inches of lift. Will I need longer shocks now? And if not, what is the max rear lift you could do before having to worry about longer shocks?

·
Super Moderator
6,103 Posts
It will only add 1in on a new truck. No you won’t need new shocks.

You will like the ride. I did it to my 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Adding a leaf will significantly increase spring rate. If it's adding 2" of height too, it must have a mean arch in it.
The extra leaf in my 02 1500 HD is not even touching my other springs when the truck is empty. This gives a nice soft ride but only adds spring rate when it's loaded. Aim for something like that.

I had a Dodge before with a Firestone Air bag. It was the ultimate dual duty set up. Super soft, like stock ride but it could carry a major payload with some air in the bags. Great for towing too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's worn and sagging, then it adds 2". Won't that be close to stock height?

I am only here to say adding a leaf increases spring rate. Spring rate and spring height are TWO different things.

As for changing shocks. No, longer shocks will only add to how much your rear axle droops. Aside from jumping ramps, the only time as axle droops to full length is when it's on a hoist.

·
Super Moderator
6,103 Posts
Meaning with a worn spring pack it will bring some life back into it.

With a new spring pack, it doesn’t make much of a difference. Other than a slightly improved ride and less squat.

And no it doesn’t “significantly increase spring rate”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts