GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have been looking at trophy trucks and i heard they have about a 3 foot suspension travel in the front end (and maybe even longer in the back?)and im curious as to what brand/ type you would have to buy to get that. no im not going to try and put this on my truck but i have been thinking about trying to build a trophy truck.... anyone ever built one? any information would be helpful

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
trophy trucks are all custom suspensions. not sure if anyone makes a long travel kit for your truck but for the 2wd, theres lots of companies out there making kits. camburg, blitzkrieg, mazzulla for example

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not going to try and put this on my truck. a custom like they build the shock absorbers?

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
im not going to try and put this on my truck. a custom like they build the shock absorbers?
custom like they build up the complete frame, all arms, spindles and links for the rear. the shocks are mostly coilovers and double/triple bypasses and can be bought but they are real expensive and they are valved for each truck

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Custom as in, the entire truck is 100% hand built.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i am aware they are 100% custom i was mostly curious about the shocks... im not planning on biulding one that looks like roby gordons 1 million dollar trophy truck just something that can handle some serious rough country and relatively high speeds...

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've just been thinking it about it for a year or two and am now trying to decide if its something i want to get started on or forget it

·
Matt.719
301 Posts
for something that handles speed its going to cost you ALOT.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
no lol. dont, this shit will end up like the tank over in israel that a guy tried to build a trophy truck but it ended up weighing something like 10k. before you go looking into all this, do you know what camber,caster, instant center, KPI etc is? its allot of work and not for the light hearted. if you want to do something of this sort. build a truggy.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i don't know what camber,caster, instant center, KPI are so what are they?
truggy?
i was thinking instead of starting from complete scratch to start with a like a totalled silverado thats frame is in good shape... or just an old one... and get an ls7 crate motor and do a custom suspension of the frame.... would that even work?
money isn't a huge factor though i won't be dropping 100's of thousands into this thing...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
if you can get a totalled silvy you would be at a much better start. and for the suspension measurements it would take a book to fill what they are and what works best for high speed romping. get a totalled silvy, buy a mazzulla kit, c85 deaver pack in the back, pick a shock manufacture and get 2 coilovers and 2 triple bypass' for the front and 2 triple/double bypass' for the rear, ballistic SF 9 inch, stange 3rd member with 5.13's, glass all around and cage the damn thing, 17 inch robby gordons or whatever beadlock, and 37 inch BFG yellow labels, supercharged LQ4 with a big cam, t400 tranny. if you want i can keep going on?

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
please do im writing this down.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i no the final cost is always hard to determine due to unexpected parts or whatever but you seem to have done this a few times. how much give or take would this all cost? if you dont really have a total thats fine i can just start adding it up piece by piece

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i no the final cost is always hard to determine due to unexpected parts or whatever but you seem to have done this a few times. how much give or take would this all cost? if you dont really have a total thats fine i can just start adding it up piece by piece
true, final cost is allways hard to determine but are you fabbing the mounts and stuff up or are you installing it all yourself?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hope you have at least $30K sitting around, and that doesn't even cover everything knuckledstr described above. These trucks get expensive to make go fast on the dirt. Mazzulla's kit alone is probably about 11-15K when it is all said and done. Sweet kit though.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i can do the fab work and install all of it myself with help from a friend of mine. so no costs as far as installing and or fab work

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i need to look at it. i dont have 30k sitting right now but im not planning on building this thing in a day either im thinking buy parts as i am able to afford them install them and then go on to the next part.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
ok well then if your doing all the work i would say look to spend about 30k give or take 10k depending on what kind of deal you can get on stuff. and before you go installing stuff, research the hell out of it and learn how to install it correctly and even call the companies and ask for the best ways to mount/install things, suggested shock lengths, etc. im a budget minded person when it comes to these type of trucks so if you look around for deals here and there and know what your doing you can have a bad ass play truck for under 25k.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i need to look at it. i dont have 30k sitting right now but im not planning on building this thing in a day either im thinking buy parts as i am able to afford them install them and then go on to the next part.
thats the best way to build em.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts