GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just bought a '96 K1500 and he wants to do a custom dual exhaust and he wants LT headers, but I'm having trouble finding them. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Also what are some good cam swaps for the truck? I told him that I should have kept the cam out of my LT1 from my 95 camaro, but I wasn't sure if that would work. Will an LT1 cam work in the 96 vortec motors, the reason that I ask is that I can pick them up for the cost of shipping and have a cam in my dads truck in a weekend.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Summit Racing has headers for your application check HERE. I don't think any of our Preferred Vendors has any for your year (I could be wrong). I don't think that the LT1 cam will work, The Vortec engine you have in your truck has a distributer on the rear of the engine where as the LT1 has the Opti-Spark Unit on the front.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
good luck finding LT's... you have to get the tbi version (88-95), they will fit but youll need to add he bung for EGR.

otherwise thorley makes a great mid length.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Thorley.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Summit Racing has headers for your application check HERE. I don't think any of our Preferred Vendors has any for your year (I could be wrong). I don't think that the LT1 cam will work, The Vortec engine you have in your truck has a distributer on the rear of the engine where as the LT1 has the Opti-Spark Unit on the front.
Yeah I know about summit, but the only LTs I can find for the vortec motors is the hooker super comps and they are almost $500. And about the LT1 cam, it has the distributer drive just like a gen1 motor. Alot of 3rd gen f-body guys buy the lt1 cams to get some more power for cheap and not have to worry about loosing any driveability.

good luck finding LT's... you have to get the tbi version (88-95), they will fit but youll need to add he bung for EGR.
But how hard would it be to add the EGR to a set of pre-95 headers? Hows the EGR setup? I have no problem doing something if its fairly simple and I'm going to be the one whos fabing the exhaust on the truck, but let me know.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
gmc_supertruck or something similar did all of this on his 97 when he did the TBI LT's... not sure if he still comes here but hes got plenty of info. i think he acutally just removed the EGR all together from his.

all it is... is getting the correct bung for the egr, cutting the hole and welding it to the header.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am using Hooker Comps 2462 hkr, they are smaller than teh Hooker Supercomps but use a 16 ga. steel vs. the SuperComps 1 3/4" x 3" collectors with 18 ga tubing.

2462 hkr 1 5/8 x 2 1/2" collectors $199
2462 1hkr same but cermic coated $360
2462 2hkr same but stainless steel$540

2866 hkr 1 3/4" x 3" EQUAL length Supercomps $400
2806 1 HKR same but ceramic $750

I simply deleted the rear o2 sensors and deleted EGR. I added teh front O2 sensor bungs into the custom 2 1/2" headpipes directly after the collector flanges. I idnt want to disturn the ceramic coating. There is a bung for the TBO trucks, but it isnt drilled out.

peace
Hog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts