GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to lower my truck soon, wanting a 4/6. Im looking for your alls recomendations for components because Im new to the lowered suspension. Truck is a 2000 Chevrolet Regular Cab Long Bed 2WD.

Im wanting coils and spindles up front. Im looking at the Belltech #2508 Spindles. Works with 17" or larger wheels, so my Denali wheels should clear when theyre on for winter. Coils undecided, prob whatever I can get a deal on.

The rear is where my questions are. Are flip kits and notches interchangeable between short beds and long beds? I figured there would be shims of some sort for the rear end to compensate for driveshaft angle. I was looking at a kit like this maybe? http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part....familyid/1741/subcategoryid/373/categoryid/30

Also, what shocks do you all like. Bang for the buck, I want to buy stuff that works well, but I dont want to break the bank either.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
LCA's suck! The bumpsteer is horrible and the BJs go out often (just as 85cruisers have)
I thought the upper helped to correct the issues associated with just using the lowers? He never got his uppers put on as he got the lift bug shortly after their purchase. The spindles are nice because they maintain factory steering geometry when used by themselves, but using them with a drop coil, I'd assume that the steering geometry would be changed, thus resulting in similar problems as with the lca's :think:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not too worried about the aspect of bump steer. Ive seen a few guys have trouble with correct alignment with LCA's. So then you need to buy uppers to correct that. Then they supposedly eat ball joints.. it goes on and on.

With spindles, Ill retain stock geometry. Then with a 2" drop coil, shouldnt be too hard too align. A buddy of mine owns a shop, and said he could align it perfectly with that setup, so thats the route I want to go.

Out back, what about the flip kit. Is that DJM $180 kit just fine? Also, is there a difference between a short bed, and a long bed flip. Ive seen some kits which says "Regular Cab, Short Bed 1500 99-06" and Ive seen others which say "Regular Cab 1500 99-06"

What shocks do you all like, as far as bang for the buck?

1,932 Posts
Looks like that flipkit will be able to do the job. You dont have a carrier bearing (i dont think the NBS RCLBs do?) so you should be good. Flip kits are nice cause its pretty fucking easy to do. also if you want to go lower at a later date you can always just add a shackle.

As far as the shock go im a big fan of doetsch shocks They arnt too pricy but I have always had really good luck with installing them on vehicles. Had them on my first FSC and those things made that truck handle NICE. I could acually drive over some halfway rough stuff and wouldn't bottom out too often or anything. I have used those on some trucks i have bagged to and they worked out pretty good, could ride low and you wouldn't start to bounce at all so you wouldnt scrape as often if you watched the road. I put my vote in for some doetsch shocks.

The spring? Depending on how you wanna do it I would find a eibach springs for the front of you truck. Those guys can make spings like its no one buisness. I havnt had a chance to use them myself but I hear nothing but good. They are a nice and tight, for performance style spring if you want that

·
Registered
152 Posts
whichever way you go, post up any information you can. I have yet to lower my long bed, but I would like to do so soon as the weather is getting nicer here in the midwest.

btw I did buy a set of lca off ebay real cheap so that is the route I am going to take. i will probably buy a set of matching uppers also. For the rear i am going with a flip kit as soon as I can firgure out who makes them for the rclb. Good luck! Jim

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump, anyone know of long bed notches?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most sites list their flip kits a notches by body style. Like, Ive seen RCSB and ECSB, and just "1500" but I havent seen anything that says its for a long bed.

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
Long bed and short bed flip kits are identical, notches are identical as well. I just did a MCG notch on a 01 long bed this weekend and did a short bed maybe 5 months ago and they were the same part number and fit exactly the same. The only differences in rear lowering on a short bed to long bed are hangers.

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
dont ecsb and rclb's have the same frame? maybe a dumb question, but thats what i always though...
I always thought the same... then again, I never had any proof behind that thought.:think:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet. New wheels and drop coming in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any updates? What wheels and sizes are you going with?
20x8.5 Eagle 026's
275/40/20 Falken Tires

Western Chassis Coil Springs and Belltech Spindles. Flipkit and shocks T.B.D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts