GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my rear diff rebuilt with a yukon ring and pinion & a detroit true truc, I got the driveshaft balanced with new u-joints, and my tires rotated and balanced. I was still getting this funky vibration.

Long story short, I just got back from Thrash Driveshafts and they hooked me up with a new pinion yoke, and showed me how the old one was worn out. They also threw in a fresh spicer u-joint.

Now it rides like glass, for the most part, except for a little vibration at like 70 mph. I think it might be due to an unbalanced Drum on the Rear Brakes that I got at O'Reilly's. I bought 2 brand new Wagner drums and 1 was obviously balanced, with a weight welded to to the outside wall just like stock. The other had no weights, and wasn't balanced. When I tried returning it for the correct one, the guy was trying to tell me that drums don't get balanced, ever. I asked him who told him that b/c he doesn't know what he is talking about... (Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm about 99.9% positive that the weights on the outside wall of the drum are to balance them, and that they are not cast perfectly, just like wheels and tires need to be balanced)

He proceeded to tell me that they perfectly cast the drum when it's manufactured and it didn't need balancing... :rofl2: Any ways, since they ordered the wrong drums like 3 times, I just stuck with the Drums I had already bought; 1 balanced, 1 unbalanced

Could that 1 unbalanced drum cause a little vibration at 70 mph or what?

The only weird thing is that there's no DUST COVER on the new pinion yoke.
Check out the 1st pic :wtf:

The 2nd pic shows how the pionion yoke used to be with the original dust cover.

Is this bad? :think:

NewPinionYoke.jpg

Picture031.jpg

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
I highly doubt drums get balanced. I had a wheel come off and I burned the bottom of the drum off a good bit, very thin. Never had a problem out of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it is leaking..
I don't think so, they Just changed the yoke, and a little fluid came out when they did. I just need to wipe it up a little and it should be good.

Pisses me off that they didn't switch over the dust cover. :pissed:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
if drums aren't balanced, wtf are these weights for
strictly for looks:imo:rolleyes:

If your sure it's not your tires, then I'd talk to someone else at the store, or just bypass the store and call a nationwide number or regional dood...just explain to him what's up, be nice and he/she should help you out.

Get that dust cover on there asap IMFO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:word: Those are balancing weights. I guess what I really want to know is how much an unbalanced drum affects ride quality.

Someone mentioned that balancing drums doesn't matter because it's so close to the hub, but that doesn't make sense to me because if that was the case driveshafts wouldn't need to be balanced either.

if drums aren't balanced, wtf are these weights for

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
strictly for looks:imo:rolleyes:

If your sure it's not your tires, then I'd talk to someone else at the store, or just bypass the store and call a nationwide number or regional dood...just explain to him what's up, be nice and he/she should help you out.

Get that dust cover on there asap IMFO
:word:

I found a new dust cover from the dealer for like 4 bucks. I need to order it and I'll get it put on ASAP. Does it mess up the pinion seal there when I take off the yoke and re-bolt it down? I already did that once, will doing it again mess it up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're suppose to transfer the dust shield over the new yoke before installing it. I'd point it out to the shop. I had to do that when I swapped a 1410 yoke on my 14 bolt.

I don't know if drums get balanced. I know I've never heard of people getting them "rebalanced". Are you 100% it's not tires?
How does the dust cover fit on the yoke? Do I have to weld it or what?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's basically a press fit. I don't know if that's the correct term, but that's how mine worked. I just hammered it off the old yoke and hammered it onto the new one. It was on there pretty good so I had to take a little care to not deform it beyond repair.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is technically when you take off the yoke, you are supposed to put a new crush sleeve in there and use a new nut. People do get away without doing this all the time, I just want you to be aware that it's not the "by the book" way of doing things.

What I did (and others do) is mark the nut and count the exposed threads on the pinion before removing the nut. Then when you reinstall you'll be as close as possible to the correct bearing preload and whatnot.
Thats what I thought about the crush sleeve, but the shop didn't mention any of that. I had my diff rebuilt at the dealer, and I was worried about this driveshaft shop messing something up. They just used an impact gun to tighten the nut and I'm sure guessed at the bearing preload. I hate shady mechanics.:flame: Owell, I'll get it fixed right ASAP.

·
Registered
115 Posts
those dust covers are not really that important. in fact alot of times they will gather weeds, then mud and debris and wipe the seal again. IMO leave it off. it shouldn't hurt anything. think about it. there is a large gap between the cover and the housing, do you really think dust will stay out of that gap? the purpose is to keep the weeds and shit off the seal, but it frequently does the opposite
Ryan

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't think so, they Just changed the yoke, and a little fluid came out when they did. I just need to wipe it up a little and it should be good.

Pisses me off that they didn't switch over the dust cover. :pissed:
:hmm: Ok, mine leaked after they changed my gears and they had to smooth a rough spot on the pinion and replace the seal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
those dust covers are not really that important. in fact alot of times they will gather weeds, then mud and debris and wipe the seal again. IMO leave it off. it shouldn't hurt anything. think about it. there is a large gap between the cover and the housing, do you really think dust will stay out of that gap? the purpose is to keep the weeds and shit off the seal, but it frequently does the opposite
Ryan
Good point bro, don't know why I didn't think of that. My old dust cover was bent to the point where It was almost slightly rubbing on the differential housing.

Now I just want to make sure that they didn't put too much load on the bearing by tightening the pinion nut too much. How can I tell?

Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts