GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working with my Dad today we got to talking about tuning and stuff for the LSx engines. Currently we have 4 (2 LS1's and 2 LS6's) engines ready for a streetrod, but no computer to run them because they havent been tuned.

I realize that the software is expensive, but its something I think we want to get into considering the amount of engines we have (5 counting my truck) that need tunes not to mention the coolness factor of running your own tune.

Starting out I just want to be able to turn off VATS, egr, rear O2, A.I.R. and whatever else isnt needed to run the engine standalone. I also want to be able to control the fan temp and play with the rev limiter and speed limiter.

Eventually I'd like to get more serious with it and change the fueling and spark maps.

So anyways, I looked up some of the more popular tuners...EFILIVE, HPtuners and LS1EDIT. Out of these 3 I like HPtuners the best, not to mention it seems to be the cheapest.

I like the skins HPtuners has and it seems more user friendly...would this is true?

Most of all I want a program that I can learn on, and start with simple tasks of turning different things off. But I want to be able to eventually add a wideband with it and get serious as my knowledge progresses.

So you guys that tune, what do you use and how do you like it? How was the learning curve? Basically, what program do you like the best and why?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
have you downloaded the trial versions of these programs? I downloaded EFI Live a while back just to mess around with it. Not sure if the others have trial software. If so, you may want to do that to see which you like the best.:shake:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I have HPtuners and i like it. yes, they are all very expensive, yes, they all require a lot of learning to get a good bit more power out of it, etc etc etc. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them...i know nelson and a couple other tuners uses HPtuners tho. One of the members on here who does tunes (justinss?) uses EFIlive and teaches the courses too. They all do pretty much the same thing, it just comes down to what you like best.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some reading on ls1tech....pretty sure LS1EDIT is out of the question. And I read the HPtuners vs. EFI live sticky and Im really digging HPtuners right now. Seems like HPtuners is the least expensive as well...

·
5,501 Posts
i got the pro package or whatever it was...liek 650$. also picked up a used laptop from denaliano for cheap...but have about 900$ in the set up right now, BUT you do get 8 credits with it, so thats 400$ worth of credits.

edit: btw, ls1edit is outdated from what ive heard.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
edit: btw, ls1edit is outdated from what ive heard.
exactly what I've heard as well...

Im also looking at the pro package. Im just confused with credits...I need to be able to do any LS1's that come out of firebirds or corvettes, which I think means I need two whole year/model categories...which is 12 credits. That sound too cheap though considering its 2 credits for a single tune...I dunno.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Personally I think the EFI Live support is much stronger. Obviously, there are a ton of great tuners, but there seem to be some exceptionally great ones that use EFI Live.

·
5,501 Posts
if you get a single year/model for 6 credits, you would only be able to do, for example, any 98 camaro/firebird if you chose that. now if you know 5 people with 98 camaros and want tunes, go for it...otherwise its hard to justify spending 300$ to get unlimited year/model tunes when you don't know when the next time you would tune one would be. the credits do build tho, so its not a total loss if you do tune a couple 98 camaros and later decide to buy the year/model credit...the 4 credits you bought would count as 3 credits (bought credits could as .75 credits to build upon) and you would have to buy 3 more credits...

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Personally I think the EFI Live support is much stronger. Obviously, there are a ton of great tuners, but there seem to be some exceptionally great ones that use EFI Live.

really? i have no problems getting help from the hptuners message board. i really like hptuners but being fair i have never used efi live.

·
Registered
303 Posts
really? i have no problems getting help from the hptuners message board. i really like hptuners but being fair i have never used efi live.
I didn't mean that there was a lack of HPTuners support. I just meant, that from what I've seen, there seems to be a stronger EFI Live support

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you get a single year/model for 6 credits, you would only be able to do, for example, any 98 camaro/firebird if you chose that. now if you know 5 people with 98 camaros and want tunes, go for it...otherwise its hard to justify spending 300$ to get unlimited year/model tunes when you don't know when the next time you would tune one would be. the credits do build tho, so its not a total loss if you do tune a couple 98 camaros and later decide to buy the year/model credit...the 4 credits you bought would count as 3 credits (bought credits could as .75 credits to build upon) and you would have to buy 3 more credits...
so the 6 credits when I buy the year/make thing only covers one year span?

·
5,501 Posts
yep, only covers one model for one year. it can be useful to certain people...if you get good with it, it won't take long to find enough people to pay for you to get the unlimited genIII car or genIII truck.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, only covers one model for one year. it can be useful to certain people...if you get good with it, it won't take long to find enough people to pay for you to get the unlimited genIII car or genIII truck.
right now I have about 20 computers that need basic tuning to run in a street rod, so the unlimited is deff the way to go.

Im still comparing efi live vs hptuners though.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn 20 ecms? why so many?????
there all my Dad's and my Dad's friends...

the "local tuner" in our area left and moved to Texas. And these old farts are too lazy to drive the 1.5 hrs to Baton Rouge where Thunderracing is at. Not to mention they could give a shit less about making more power out their LSx motors, they just want them to run in they're old cars. So me and my Dad figure we will be able to pretty much pay off most of the expense of the program software+labtop as soon as I can learn what Im doing and eventually pay off/turn profit in the long run.

·
5,501 Posts
there all my Dad's and my Dad's friends...

the "local tuner" in our area left and moved to Texas. And these old farts are too lazy to drive the 1.5 hrs to Baton Rouge where Thunderracing is at. Not to mention they could give a shit less about making more power out their LSx motors, they just want them to run in they're old cars. So me and my Dad figure we will be able to pretty much pay off most of the expense of the program software+labtop as soon as I can learn what Im doing and eventually pay off/turn profit in the long run.
you don't ahve a laptop to run that shit on yet? i got one and dedicated it to it. i will use it every once in a while to fuck around online, but its 90% hptuners stuff. I just got a used one from matt on here and its been damn good to me, short of the USB port giving me probs, but i got a buscard and its all good now.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so far the plan is to buy a new labtop dedicated specifically to run whatever tuner program I get. We have a contract with Dell though my Dad's shop and get new computers for super cheap. So we'll prolly get a new labtop, wipe the harddrive, and reinstall windows and a tuning software only so the computer runs as fast as possible. And any time I need to grab a file from the net or post one up or anything like that I'll transfer the files to my desktop. Will prolly install the tuning software on my desk top as well thinking about it.

·
5,501 Posts
ahh i can understand that now. you can find refurbs and some new lower end comps retail for around 250-400$, all of which would be fine to run HP tuners on. mine is slow starting the programs, but once it gets going, it runs fine.

i also have a copy of it on my desktop for my PC, and have a copy on a friends laptop too, JUST incase...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Better invest in a wideband. IMO, if I ever build an LSX engine for a street rod or something Ill be going Carb.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Better invest in a wideband. IMO, if I ever build an LSX engine for a street rod or something Ill be going Carb.
I will when I actually start doing performance tunes. Right now Im not too worried about it though, just going more for getting it to run than how good it runs.

Anyways, when using a wideband...how does that work? I know it has another 02, but I dont see how you get it in the exhaust without removing one of the other 02's....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts