GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a link at mychevytruck.com and thought would check it out.

I am looking for some new tread because of all the problems i have had with SSR's.

2003 GMC 1500 6"+3" with 35's on 16x10 magnums.

I have had the tires balanced at least 20 times. They will not. They require more than 12 ounces per tire. They are off warranty because more than 10% is gone.

I am looking for something that looks good but will be able to be balanced. Here are some of my ideas: PJDG (expensive up here), STS, Toyo OCMT, MTclaw radials, Procomp xterrains.

Since you guys have monster trucks on here, have any of you run into problems with the tires being to big for a DD. I have heard several times no to go over a 35" with IFS. I barely wheel but sometimes like to get her dirty. Thinking about 37's...

Thanks alot guys

·
2,451 Posts
it was probly my link :anitoof: :welcome: :gmfs:
I would say go with the 37" xterrains, and you may have a little trimming. Or the 36x14.5 sts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slawinitup said:
how much do you want for the 35s ?
well, i bought them for $390 CAD each. 2 have 23000km, 2 have 5000km. I have them advertised for $1000, but...

About the STS, are they really THAT bad offroad. I have heard them plug up fast. They only come with 1/2" of tread depth, does that last long? To me tires like that i would expect about 40000km with them.

·
2,451 Posts
lingus said:
well, i bought them for $390 CAD each. 2 have 23000km, 2 have 5000km. I have them advertised for $1000, but...

About the STS, are they really THAT bad offroad. I have heard them plug up fast. They only come with 1/2" of tread depth, does that last long? To me tires like that i would expect about 40000km with them.
the sts are supposedly fine in mud as long as you keep them spinning.

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
I have 37" X-terrains....I love them! They balanced fine, ride very good, semi- quiet on the freeway, look pretty good...All in all, a good tire.

Jason

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have 35's and no problems. I plan on getting 37's when these wear out, but I am also scared of the problems. But I'm even more scared of the gas milage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alberta, the oil and gas provider of north america. Hope the pics work. I like the xterrains but what about the directional pattern? Would it really make that big of a deal if you are going in reverse? I mean, you just reverse a little then its back to haulin ass.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Looks great man, the STS's aren't bad in mud but if you can afford 36x14.50 PJ's your ride would look sick.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
lingus said:
Alberta, the oil and gas provider of north america. Hope the pics work. I like the xterrains but what about the directional pattern? Would it really make that big of a deal if you are going in reverse? I mean, you just reverse a little then its back to haulin ass.
My Old x-terrains did really good reversing for some reason, i found myself doing it alot when i couldn't get out of a rut. They weren't great in mud either i would get a baja claw instead.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Truck looks sweet. Going to a PJ or Xterrain will most likely be a big step backwards as far as traction is concerned. Both of them are indeed great tires, but Xterrains are made to perform on the rocks, and PJs are a good all around tire. Neither of them will offer Swamper traction in the mud (tehy will do alright but not as good as an SSR). Have you thought about the TSL radials? they come in a36x14.50x16 size.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts