GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well right now im in a huge toss up on what mud terrain tire to buy on friday... im looking into these 3 right now.

the nitto mud grappler
the toyo m/t
the mickey thompson mtz

and i think all 3 are badass tires... but from what i read on here and other places is that the mud grapplers will suck on the freeway... but i just love the look of them and the those side lugs as added help for the offroading couldnt hurt.

the toyo m/t i hear are much better for freeway then the gapplers but they dont have as much of an aggressive look ya know?

and the MTZ are pretty sweet all around, but they dont look too aggressive

so im in a toss up and figured i would get some help from you guys..

these are going to be in a 37" tire on 17" rims...

i do about 300 miles a week freeway driving..

and im not looking for a tire that will last 50k cuz i know thats not gonna happen, but something decent 25+k would be fine

thanks for any help or opinions guys

·
05 Jacked GMC
80 Posts
yo, the nitto's are noise as hell i hear on the freeway and stuff. Ive got mtz in the 36x15.5 and think they look badass, but i do like the nittos look better. Dont like the look of the toyo, but you prob get what you pay for and they are pricey.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Out of the 3 I think I would go with the MTZ. Not a lot of them around here and I think they would get the job done, I can't decide between the MTZ or stay with the BFG M/T next time..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those MTZ's look good on your truck man! i think ill call my shop and see what kind of price i can get...

9,778 Posts
I didn't really like my nittos. They are loud and very very heavy...they did ride good and looked sick tho. I would go MTZ or TOYO for a highway MT

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
When I get new tires I am either going with...

1. BFG Muds
2. Toyo Muds
3. Pro Comp Xtreme All terrian.

Life of the tires is very important to me and I feel these will look very good and last me over 30k miles each with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
mtz's run small...if money isnt an issue i would go with the Toyos

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Ive had the toyos and nittos and my best friend has the mtz's

I thought the nittos were horrible, they are so loud when they wear past 50% you can't even hear your phone on the freeway.

The toyos I used on trails and they were fine plus they are as quiet as a street radial, almost

The mtz's I have been through some heavy wheeling in my buddies jeep and they pull hard and only start to make noise above 70mph and they look a little more aggressive than the toyos. They just don't make them in big enough sizes.

Be different and get the mtz's IMO

·
4,725 Posts
None of the tires mentioned will do remotely well in any offroad situation besides sand and ice. I've experienced all 3 in the slop and none of them could go in anything besides the pussy path where the banshees could make it. Sidewall on virtually all DOT truck tires are useless in mud, and rarely useful in other circumstances.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Nittos are just a bad ass tire, but they wear out hella fast so depeneds alot on what you looking for, toyos probly last you the longest out of those three in wear probly goes toyos, mtz, nittos.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i've got 33x12.5x17 mtzs sittin here not mounted yet but unmounted they measure 34x13

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well im still in a toss up :( everyone has varying opinions which makes it hard

i want a loud tire. i like it when people know im coming up on them... so i like the nittos, i also love the look of the tire.

i like the MTZ's cuz they have what im looking for so i hear, good wear and good traction and decent mileage

the toyo's i hear are a great tire, but they are quiet.. and idk if i want that again.. i dont mind loud.

ugh so hard to choose.. price isnt an issue cuz i can get them all damn cheap through my tire guy

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
those do look pretty sic! i think i'll look into those now too

they dont make the MTZ in a 37 with a 17" rim.... so it looks like those tires out of the picture. :(

1 - 20 of 69 Posts