GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys have or what have you used in the past for tool boxes? I'm still up in the air about one because with the short bed, it would take up useful space, but I'm tired of having tow strap, tool box, seat cover, etc. sliding around under my back seat. If I got a tool box I'd really like it to be a low profile box and preferably black.

I guess another question I have is are most or all tool boxes easy to put in and take out? So if I need the full length of the bed and need to take my box out, would that be a painful process? Does having the box in there take up or block the front tie down loops?

Can you guys post up any recommendations or pictures of what you've got so I can take a look. It would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Kobalt low profile black one and I am happy with it. It keeps me from having to keep all that stuff in the cab of my truck. I can still get to tie down loops in the front to use them but it can be a pain to reach them. As far as taking out/putting in, I have only had mine out one time, they aren't heavy when empty, but I just have a toolbox mounting thing I bought at lowes that has 4 allen bolts holding it from the inside of the box

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
I've used a few. Bought a cheap one from Sears that I use for storage in the garage now. Had one from Truxedo that worked with my tonneau, but, it was too shallow. The only reason I don't run one now is because of my cap.

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Kobalt low profile black one and I am happy with it. It keeps me from having to keep all that stuff in the cab of my truck. I can still get to tie down loops in the front to use them but it can be a pain to reach them. As far as taking out/putting in, I have only had mine out one time, they aren't heavy when empty, but I just have a toolbox mounting thing I bought at lowes that has 4 allen bolts holding it from the inside of the box
Would you happen to have either a part number or a picture of what yours looks like?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I feel like this is my area of expertise haha I've run the extra wide WeatherGuard tool box, a bigger wheeled one, a smaller saddle box. Are you looking to run a tool box that you can't see (under the bedrails) as well as keep it off the floor 4-6"? And how much are you looking to spend?

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like this is my area of expertise haha I've run the extra wide WeatherGuard tool box, a bigger wheeled one, a smaller saddle box. Are you looking to run a tool box that you can't see (under the bedrails) as well as keep it off the floor 4-6"? And how much are you looking to spend?
Well to be honest, I'm not really sure. Most of the ones I've looked at go over the bed rails, but I don't think i've seen any under the rails. I would prefer to keep it on the floor so I could slide things under it if need be. My estimate on price is probably about $300 or so. The majority of the ones i've seen are close to that so my guess is I'd be spending close to that on any toolbox

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think something along the lines of this would be perfect. Really like the way this one looks.

TruckToolBox.jpg

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine is model# 73214011 I'm pretty sure. I will check for certain when I get home. Working on getting pictures uploaded, never posted any on here before

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With a 19" deep box there is no room under it though. 19" is almost the told bed depth on a nbs at least
Oh ok. Well if there isn't any room under the box, that isnt a big problem. I think the biggest factor for me is still being able to use all of the tie down loops in the bed with the toolbox in there.

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ive got s UWS Low-Pro black box that goes over the rails and there is probably 10" between the bottom and the bed. I love it. Had a Better Built before it and it didn't last for shit. Aluminum welds broke, powder coating chipped in car wash. UWS is definitely the way to go. You get what you pay for.

·
Never Around
1,437 Posts
Have you looked into one of the bed drawers ideas?

Back in '08 when I got my first CC pickup with the shorter bed, I didn't run a toolbox anymore because I didn't want to lose the size of the bed. It sucked for the 6 years I owned that truck.

Now that I'm back in a pick up, I'm considering the bed drawer idea.

[yt]BBDDxRMDHbM[/yt]

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive got s UWS Low-Pro black box that goes over the rails and there is probably 10" between the bottom and the bed. I love it. Had a Better Built before it and it didn't last for shit. Aluminum welds broke, powder coating chipped in car wash. UWS is definitely the way to go. You get what you pay for.

Can you still use tie down rings?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts