GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I'm sure this may seem like a stupid question for those more experienced than I, but I'll ask it anyway. :D

I've got an '04 silvy, ext cab with 3.73 gears. Going to be going with an RCD 6" lift and 35s this spring and also want to regear to 4.56s. Now here's the stupid question:

What EXACTLY do you recommend I buy? Assume I know nothing (which isn't far from the truth, but I'm trying). I'm looking to put together a list of the parts so I have an idea when I shop around for price quotes. Please be as detailed as possible.

Thanks.

·
2,451 Posts
get a locker or lsd for the rear :imo
Im not sure on gear brands, but it seems that precision seems to be a good brand.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dont buy a locker...stick with a limited slip...if you have the G80 you could probably get away with that for awhile especially if all you do is play around offroad a little...if you are planning on getting a little more serious you might wanna look into an auburn lsd...My lifted 96 has the stock limited slip and i never really got into a situation that i couldnt get through that a $450 lsd would....as for gears stay away from the cheapos...as andy said i would stick with precision gear products

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slvrpismochevy96 said:
Dont buy a locker...stick with a limited slip...if you have the G80 you could probably get away with that for awhile especially if all you do is play around offroad a little...if you are planning on getting a little more serious you might wanna look into an auburn lsd...My lifted 96 has the stock limited slip and i never really got into a situation that i couldnt get through that a $450 lsd would....as for gears stay away from the cheapos...as andy said i would stick with precision gear products
I really don't do much offroading at all...just a few trips down to the beach and run on the sand some, but nothing like a like of the guys here do. :D

My problem is that I REALLY lack the "vocabulary" when talking to a retail shop regarding what I'll need/want to have the gears installed. So, if I go with precision gear products, what exactly do I need to purchase?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hell with it....sand kicks ass :head: Well go check your glove compartment right now for the code G80, if it doesnt have it then i'd consider an auburn lsd.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I dunno about the g80 holding up, most people change it out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I'm a stooge. I misread the glove box code and there is no G80 on there (went back to double check). I kept my window sticker, which notes "locking rear differential".

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
I've heard alot of stories about the g80 blowing and taking the ring and pinion with it so it's your call. Slvrpismos held up and is still fine but you never know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yup, i have a 96 with the g80 and its never had a problem...i even have 4.88 in the stock 10 bolt....like i said, if all you do is play around a little you dont have to worry about the guys that wheeled their stock rear end too hard and blew it up although i have been pretty hard on my rig

·
Registered
187 Posts
I smoke my tires alot on pavement with the G80 and 4.56's... It locks up every time and i have two strips of rubber on the pavement....no probs yet...and yea im not worried about my tires right now, im gettin some bfg within the month...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
hehe trust me you know it when it blows up.

Order front and rear ring and pinion and I would go ahead and get a master instal kiut to replace all of teh bearings while you are in there.

front = 8.25" IFS
rear = 8.5/8.6 gm 10 bolt

I would get a locker or something but thats just me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yah of course you want to replace all the bearings, no point in sticking your axles back in with the old ones. I still stick by you not needing to spend the extra dough on a locker if all you do is play around in the sand every once and awhile becuase thats the only offroading my 96 does and its done a lot of it with only a g80 and not a problem what so ever. But maybe in the future you will do more wheeling and could benefit by putting a locker in now and save yourself some labor later down the road. All depends on what you do now and in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts