GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
livin the low life
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says,... I want a 2500HD crew cab. I'm selling my '03 1/2 ton 4x4 and want to step up a little. What do you guys recommend? Anything to watch out for? Any years better than others? I want to pull a car hauler about 4 to 6 times a year. Gas or Duramax? Auto or 6 speed? Tell me what you think! Thanks, lolife99.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm in the same dilemma, need something bigger to tow my new boat, I'm probably gonna end up with an 03-04 Duramax with the auto.

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
04.5 and up d-max imo

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
lly's had egr systems, different injector design, turbo's, computer too. the lb7's get a little better milage but the lly's are faster and more reliable imo.

·
Registered
624 Posts
cool, thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
get an lbz. also make sure there is a g80 code on your glove box, that means its got a locker in the rear. if you plan to pull id opt for the dmax. cant go wrong with an allison, youll spend equal amounts of money beefing up your allison or a manual if you add power adders.

·
Must be lost..
1,148 Posts
some of the 04 llys had some problems overheating as well. Id go with the lbz, cant beat the auto 6speed and the slight increase in hp and torque over the lly & lb7 IMO

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Not to hack your thread or anything, but my 2006 2500HD D-max is for sale. It's the LBZ motor package with 6-speed Allison auto trans. It was bought new by another member of this forum also... 1 pic in my sig, and about 45 pics in my for sale thread....

I can tell you though, since your in the market for that type of truck... Don't buy a 3/4 ton gas burner. Reliability is good, but resale sucks, and gas mileage is worse... My worst gas mileage is way better than the best mileage I got out of my 05 2500HD with the 6.0L. For just a little more you can get the diesel...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts