GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got a text from a guy asking if id be interested in trading my 12'' HDC3 for his 10'' JL W7. Id like the extra space, and ive heard W7's sound pretty good. I think im going to go through with it, what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Don't do it. The w7 is more expensive but the hdc3 is so much more badass

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im wanting more of an SQ setup and like i say the space is becoming an issue. I think this 10 should suit me well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
10w7 still comes in svc 3ohm right?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Well i got a text from a guy asking if id be interested in trading my 12'' HDC3 for his 10'' JL W7. Id like the extra space, and ive heard W7's would pretty good. I think im going to go through with it, what does everyone else think?
Im wanting more of an SQ setup and like i say the space is becoming an issue. I think this 10 should suit me well.
I wouldn't do it. If you want more of an SQ setup, look elsewhere. The AQ does sound like ass, and the JL sounds better but I dislike how they sound as a whole. You also have to look at powering it too, as was mentioned it's 3 ohms so what does that do for ya?

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait how in the hell did you fit an hdc3 12 in there anyway?
The box sat on the back of my seat. it was 2.25 cubic feet..

I wouldn't do it. If you want more of an SQ setup, look elsewhere. The AQ does sound like ass, and the JL sounds better but I dislike how they sound as a whole. You also have to look at powering it too, as was mentioned it's 3 ohms so what does that do for ya?
I thought the AQ sounded okay. The JL does have some sound quality i think and gets suprising loud. My sub was tuned to 32-33hz and the W7 is supposidly tuned to 32hz.

We swapped setups.. he has an alpine pdx 1000.1, he hooked up my sub and i started to regret the trade the AQ got really loud for only being powered by that alpine amp. He said he'd like to sell his amp and get an saz 2500d.

BTW Sean, who would you recommend build me a box for this W7? Do you know what hz they like best?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
The box sat on the back of my seat. it was 2.25 cubic feet..

I thought the AQ sounded okay. The JL does have some sound quality i think and gets suprising loud. My sub was tuned to 32-33hz and the W7 is supposidly tuned to 32hz.

We swapped setups.. he has an alpine pdx 1000.1, he hooked up my sub and i started to regret the trade the AQ got really for only being powered by that alpine amp. He said he'd like to sell his amp and get an saz 2500d.

BTW Sean, who would you recommend build me a box for this W7? Do you know what hz they like best?
I recommend getting rid of the W7 and taking that money to upgrade LOL Tune somewhere in the low/mid 30's. They won't play above 60 hz worth a damn.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recommend getting rid of the W7 and taking that money to upgrade LOL Tune somewhere in the low/mid 30's. They won't play above 60 hz worth a damn.
My AQ didnt play anything about 50 hz worth a damn! haha. At least it didnt seem like it. Well what 10'' sub would be much better then the W7? And what kind of power would my saz be giving the W7?

How well do W7's do sealed?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
My AQ didnt play anything about 50 hz worth a damn! haha. At least it didnt seem like it. Well what 10'' sub would be much better then the W7? And what kind of power would my saz be giving the W7?

How well do W7's do sealed?
If your AQ didn't play 50 hz worth a damn, you were either tuned to 15 hz or had your crossover set way too low. That sub should play the hell out of 50 hz way better than 35 hz.

There are a ton of subs that sound better than the W7, even their own W6v2 does at half the cost. It's a matter of how much you can/want to spend. W7's are fine sealed, most use them sealed actually. You get the same quality of sound, just not as loud.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the AQ played ''late nite tip" ptretty loud, but i think most subs do? "BME Click" was also another powerful song.

I would

1. Get a new box built for this sub tuned at 35hz

2. Sell it and get a 13'' W7 ( i think they can handle the power i have better ) and get much much louder.

3. Possibly buy a local 12'' 03-05 model XXX that was for sale

4. Look around and see if i can find an 03-05 10'' XXX

Lastly, and i think would be the best option buy a used 07+ 12'' XXX

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I know the AQ played ''late nite tip" ptretty loud, but i think most subs do? "BME Click" was also another powerful song.

I would

1. Get a new box built for this sub tuned at 35hz

2. Sell it and get a 13'' W7 ( i think they can handle the power i have better ) and get much much louder.

3. Possibly buy a local 12'' 03-05 model XXX that was for sale

4. Look around and see if i can find an 03-05 10'' XXX

Lastly, and i think would be the best option buy a used 07+ 12'' XXX
If you're tuned 30-33 hz, those tracks will be loud on anything. The notes are all between 30 and 37 hz and VERY boosted.

1500 real watts will murder a 13W7. Will it handle it better? Yes. Will it handle it indefinitely? No.

Of all the things you listed, I'd look at finding a XXX over the others.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So look for an XXX.. what ''good'' options are there? I have an saz 1500d for power and want to be loud but still sustain some SQ.

Would 2 10's ported be a good choice?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
So look for an XXX.. what ''good'' options are there? I have an saz 1500d for power and want to be loud but still sustain some SQ.

Would 2 10's ported be a good choice?
You could do 2 10's, won't save any space that way though.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could do 2 10's, won't save any space that way though.
I was originally looking to free up some room on my back seat so i can recline my drivers seat back further. Ill be fine as long as my box has no more depth then 13'' and can be flush with the top of the rear seat which is about 15'' high or so. I just want to be able to fit 1 person on the back seat by the third door. I dont need anymore then 2 people riding with me at once.

A quick question, what can my 98 gmcs' stock electrical handle as far as power? Im probably not even supplying enough juice to saz 1500d? If i want something louder would it be worth to go with a 2000-2500w amp? Im thinking for the space and everything 2 10's ported will be about my best bet. Now as far as ported 10's go with 750-1000 a peice what 10's would be best for SQL?

Also with a box sitting on rear seat, what would be "best" direction to aim the subs and port?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I was originally looking to free up some room on my back seat so i can recline my drivers seat back further. Ill be fine as long as my box has no more depth then 13'' and can be flush with the top of the rear seat which is about 15'' high or so. I just want to be able to fit 1 person on the back seat by the third door. I dont need anymore then 2 people riding with me at once.

A quick question, what can my 98 gmcs' stock electrical handle as far as power? Im probably not even supplying enough juice to saz 1500d? If i want something louder would it be worth to go with a 2000-2500w amp? Im thinking for the space and everything 2 10's ported will be about my best bet. Now as far as ported 10's go with 750-1000 a peice what 10's would be best for SQL?

Also with a box sitting on rear seat, what would be "best" direction to aim the subs and port?
Well, measure how far you're willing to go over on the seat and go from there. You may be able to do 2 10's ported. If you wanted to go up to a 2000 or 2500, you would have to add at least 1 battery, a good one. An upgraded alternator wouldn't hurt either.

As for the 10's, honestly the Sundown SA is a pretty good sounding sub. They aren't just loud, they actually do sound good. The new SAv2's that are being developed are rated at 750 RMS, but I dunno how soon you're looking to do that. Other than that on like 1000 RMS drivers, what's your budget like for that?

I'd aim the port and sub up, or sub up port to the side. Depending on your passengers you may not wanna port to the side though.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, measure how far you're willing to go over on the seat and go from there. You may be able to do 2 10's ported. If you wanted to go up to a 2000 or 2500, you would have to add at least 1 battery, a good one. An upgraded alternator wouldn't hurt either.

As for the 10's, honestly the Sundown SA is a pretty good sounding sub. They aren't just loud, they actually do sound good. The new SAv2's that are being developed are rated at 750 RMS, but I dunno how soon you're looking to do that. Other than that on like 1000 RMS drivers, what's your budget like for that?

I'd aim the port and sub up, or sub up port to the side. Depending on your passengers you may not wanna port to the side though.
I would "upgrade" my main battery and that is about how far im willing to go. If my alternator shits out i would upgrade to a nice alt. Kind of why i went with a 1500w amp because i figured it wouldnt take more then my stock electrical.

I will look into the SA's, i could even probably wait for the newer versions. My budget is different on how i feel that day haha.

I played around alittle today with the sub and box.. I played the same song and everything and it almost seemed when i had the sub and port facing foward it seemed louder then i aimed the sub and port toward the roof. Should i try aiming the sub toward the back window tomorrow or would that be pointless? Im thinking sub up and port to the drivers side might be a good idea. Or maybe even sub facing forward and port up?

BTW the sub is right behind the drivers seat.. The front passenger area seemed pretty loud when i sat over there. With the sub facing forward it sounded hella loud when i stuck my head toward the windshield..

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I would "upgrade" my main battery and that is about how far im willing to go. If my alternator shits out i would upgrade to a nice alt. Kind of why i went with a 1500w amp because i figured it wouldnt take more then my stock electrical.

I will look into the SA's, i could even probably wait for the newer versions. My budget is different on how i feel that day haha.

I played around alittle today with the sub and box.. I played the same song and everything and it almost seemed when i had the sub and port facing foward it seemed louder then i aimed the sub and port toward the roof. Should i try aiming the sub toward the back window tomorrow or would that be pointless? Im thinking sub up and port to the drivers side might be a good idea. Or maybe even sub facing forward and port up?

BTW the sub is right behind the drivers seat.. The front passenger area seemed pretty loud when i sat over there. With the sub facing forward it sounded hella loud when i stuck my head toward the windshield..
SA's are only $185 each. You've got a while on the V2's, at least 6 months. If you like how it sounds better with it firing forward, go with that. Aiming back might do better on low notes maybe, but may not be as loud. That's just a goofy positioning anyway. Sub forward port up I see having weird phasing. With nearly any system, the closer you get to the windshield, the louder it gets, often very quickly.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SA's are only $185 each. You've got a while on the V2's, at least 6 months. If you like how it sounds better with it firing forward, go with that. Aiming back might do better on low notes maybe, but may not be as loud. That's just a goofy positioning anyway. Sub forward port up I see having weird phasing. With nearly any system, the closer you get to the windshield, the louder it gets, often very quickly.
Sub forward port up isnt what i ment, i ment to say sub up port forward..

I would just like to get it right because id like to have a box built right to my specs. Its either going to be sub up port up, that might be best or sub and port facing foward.. or sub up port forward? I might be going to buy a 12'' xxx tomorrow. If i get that ill be selling the dub 7

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Sub forward port up isnt what i ment, i ment to say sub up port forward..

I would just like to get it right because id like to have a box built right to my specs. Its either going to be sub up port up, that might be best or sub and port facing foward.. or sub up port forward? I might be going to buy a 12'' xxx tomorrow. If i get that ill be selling the dub 7
I wouldn't do port forward unless the sub was forward also. If you liked how sub forward sounded better than sub up, then go that route. Depending where your port was that could vary, but if you kept everything the same it should still work the same way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts