GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GMC Z71 and when I crank the truck it runs fine while it's sitting there idling, it's only when I try to take off that the truck wants to die out temporarily. It'll stay running but it'll sputter a few times and it doesn't matter if I barely give it the gas or put it to the floor, it'll slowly climb in speed until about 25 to 30 mph and then it'll run fine. I can drive it normally or floor it and it'll downshift and take off like normal. However, when I slow down and stop, it does the same thing all over again. The mechanic shop says my fuel pressure is around 40.

Here's the problem. The mechanic originally noticed the EGR piping from the EGR valve to the exhaust manifold was bent shut so he replaced that. Nothing changed. He then checked the fuel filter, which was very dirty so he changed that. Once again, no change. Next we changed the fuel pump. Still doing the same exact thing. I even changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Nothing has helped so far.

I am now $750 in and still haven't found the problem. Worst part is, it's not throwing a code at all. I even cleaned the MAF sensor with the cleaner made for it thinking that would help and it didn't.

Somebody please help me so I can fix this problem so that I don't have to take it to the dealer and spend God knows how much more money. Thanks!

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
All plugs & coil/wires good? Get truck running and put some water in a spay bottle, spray it on the coils and see if it starts to idle rough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was leaning towards next.. some kind of electrical problem is what I was thinking anyway. But i'll give that a try I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we figured it out. It was actually a problem with the transmission. When you put it in Drive, it was trying to start off in a higher gear and that's why it was wanting to kill. When I manually switch the gears on the column, it worked fine. Really wish I would of tried that sooner.

Also, I found out that the mechanic was a dumbass and the fuel pressure was never that low and I believe he was just trying to get me to buy a fuel pump to get more money out of me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts