GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Broke
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daily(96 s10, 200k) has been acting up lately. I've been running valvoline max life 10-40(high mileage) for a while now. But i've been noticing my oil pressure gauge showing low, mainly at idle. Almost 10-15. Would switching to a thicker grade help? Or could my oil pump be going out? Doubt its the guage since it does feel sluggish from the start

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That is pretty low. Pop the hood and see if there's anything ( wires/hoses ) that are not right. Not fully connected or pull them out and look for clogs or corrosion. Might be the pressure is fine, but your truck is being told that it is not.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
^^^:word:

The next step would be going to a 20w50. I've ran that from the time my engine was new and never see below 45psi. Not necessarily a cure to the problem, but it may get you more miles out of the engine.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I wouldn't recommend giving that thought a chance until you're absolutely sure your pressure is OK.
That's why I said to check connections first. No sense in putting heavier oil in a truck that is at the proper pressure because a faulty sensor is telling him it's low. Just want him to check the simple stuff before changing up the "diet."

·
481 Posts
That's why I said to check connections first. No sense in putting heavier oil in a truck that is at the proper pressure because a faulty sensor is telling him it's low. Just want him to check the simple stuff before changing up the "diet."
:word:
put a mechanical guage on it and see where you're at.:imo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts