GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive got a 2011 chevy silverado 5.3L with now 134,000 miles. Ive had it for 1 year and 1 month. First issue back in January was a oil pressure sensor code, changed it out was fine.. few months later check engine light all the codes missfire in cylinder 6, collapsed lifter. Got both banks, pushrods, and rockerarms replaced. got around the block and all the lights came back on went back right then and of course went away. Mechanic said its fine probably just needs to learn. got about 60 miles down the road called him he said ok maybe the VLOM to bring it back in a week and they will diagnose it. never got a call changed it out myself. still the same issue turns out one of the AFM lifters was "faulty" according to them. one of the AFM lifters turned in the casing and wore down a bit of the cam so i had to get the cam replaced and both banks of lifters they also had to hoan something i cant remember what. anyways i asked them about the oil pressure again same as last time that it was to low (20lbs Hot) but they said they hooked there gauges and it was good. well about 100 miles down the road check engine light on again. For the oil pressure sensor again. im sick and tired of this truck so the other day i headed for the dealership and sure enough an hour into my drive the oil light comes on and says "Low oil pressure shut off motor" so i got to a gas station it was a quart low on oil, im running 5w-30 full synthetic. Put oil and drove back home. the (what sounds like) lifter tick got louder and sounded horible. The next morning i went out to crank it and she cranked up beautifully sounded great, pressure was at about 45 and the temp outside was about 30 degrees. ran great till it warmed up as it warmed up it started sounding worse.

So, when truck is cold high oil pressure
truck is warm it has low oil pressure (I would guess around 5lb give or take) and sounds horrible

Just got all that work done i dont know what to do next i mean to me it sounds like maybe the oil pump, but im hoping maybe if i should just drain the oil and maybe its a bit clogged?
Again ive had the truck for a year and a month ive put almost 8k in maintenance and only 4,680 towards payments in towards the truck. I owe 16.5 at this point What SHOULD I DO?!?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
AFM/DOD GMs are my bread and butter. With that being said, drop a tree or a river on it at 16k.

But AFM motors use oil pressure to command V4. Hence the Chevy tap. That’s why like everyone delete that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I should have deleted it when I had the chance internally.. I’ve seen those plugs that delete it or shows demand on the motor all the time but at this point I’m so tired of putting money into it I just want to get rid of it

·
Registered
9 Posts
So ive got a 2011 chevy silverado 5.3L with now 134,000 miles. Ive had it for 1 year and 1 month. First issue back in January was a oil pressure sensor code, changed it out was fine.. few months later check engine light all the codes missfire in cylinder 6, collapsed lifter. Got both banks, pushrods, and rockerarms replaced. got around the block and all the lights came back on went back right then and of course went away. Mechanic said its fine probably just needs to learn. got about 60 miles down the road called him he said ok maybe the VLOM to bring it back in a week and they will diagnose it. never got a call changed it out myself. still the same issue turns out one of the AFM lifters was "faulty" according to them. one of the AFM lifters turned in the casing and wore down a bit of the cam so i had to get the cam replaced and both banks of lifters they also had to hoan something i cant remember what. anyways i asked them about the oil pressure again same as last time that it was to low (20lbs Hot) but they said they hooked there gauges and it was good. well about 100 miles down the road check engine light on again. For the oil pressure sensor again. im sick and tired of this truck so the other day i headed for the dealership and sure enough an hour into my drive the oil light comes on and says "Low oil pressure shut off motor" so i got to a gas station it was a quart low on oil, im running 5w-30 full synthetic. Put oil and drove back home. the (what sounds like) lifter tick got louder and sounded horible. The next morning i went out to crank it and she cranked up beautifully sounded great, pressure was at about 45 and the temp outside was about 30 degrees. ran great till it warmed up as it warmed up it started sounding worse.

So, when truck is cold high oil pressure
truck is warm it has low oil pressure (I would guess around 5lb give or take) and sounds horrible

Just got all that work done i dont know what to do next i mean to me it sounds like maybe the oil pump, but im hoping maybe if i should just drain the oil and maybe its a bit clogged?
Again ive had the truck for a year and a month ive put almost 8k in maintenance and only 4,680 towards payments in towards the truck. I owe 16.5 at this point What SHOULD I DO?!?
I had a similar problem with my 2006 Suburban. Start up, oil pressure good, after a while light would go on and say shut off engine. Took to my mechanic and he changed the "O" ring between the oil pickup line and the oil pump. Problem solved. He said it was a common problem and he had done a bunch of them. Haven't had a problem since and that was about 6000 miles ago. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts