GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well 04silveradoscott's truck is in the driveway and they're working on dropping it. theres just one little problem- they cant get the lower control arm ball joint to come loose. its rrrrrrrrrreally stuck. has anyone else had this problem, and if so- do you have any suggestions? theyve tried pretty much everything.

any help is appreciated!
:shake:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
tell them to go buy a heavy duty 3 jaw puller and force it out like that. You hook the 3 prongs onto the spindle and the drive part under the balljoint(just be sure to even out the weight on the ball joint. That's the way i had to do it with my buddies dodge ram when a pickle fork wouldn't work. After you're done with the puller....Just return it!!

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
we beat on a pickle fork for nearly 45 minutes to get each of mine undone:imo seriously, beat the fuck out of it!

·
Your Neighborhood Jeweler
1,166 Posts
this is winter again, guys.

they beat the everliving hell out of it- still wouldnt even budge.
but they JUST got it to come lose- thanks for the advice mr. whipps!
you'll get your muffins soon.

thanks for all the help fellas!

·
layin big rubber
1,456 Posts
i took my spindle and lower control arm off as one unit and put it in a vise and pressed the lca off from the spindle

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
damn i did the passenger side today. it wasnt that bad imo. well see about the drivers side tomorrow though. knock on wood.

glad to hear you guys got it off!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i took my spindle and lower control arm off as one unit and put it in a vise and pressed the lca off from the spindle
I prefer taking them off too but pounding on the ball joint while the spindle is sitting on something sturdy

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
man mine was a pain too. i soaked it with some wd-40 a bunch. then turned teh lca out so i could stand on it. then we shoved a pickel fork in it and hit it with a sledge hammer for about 30 minutes. the key for us was standing on the lca for that little bit of added help.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
mine were easy im done now. tell his ass to get us some pics!!

·
As seen on TV!
863 Posts
I used a mini sledge with the fork. Few good whacks with that and it came off pretty easily! I'm glad you guys were able to get the ball joint off....now post some pics!!!!!

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
Yea it was a bitch, but Matt turned the spindle and hit it on the back side a few good times and it came loose.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
i always back off the spindle nuts a bit and beat the sheeoot out of the spindle while the spring still has tension on it, always worked for me but a friend did the same and end up cutting his off with a 7" grinder, the two were welded toghther damn near, he tried heating it up and everything!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Don't worry about it dude...

Soak the BJ's in PB Blaster...and don't be afraid to beat the living shit out of them. It's really not that big of a deal...I was just really timid to beat the piss out of my truck...but when i did everything went smooth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts