GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '12 silverado 1500 Z71 that I just installed a 4" rancho lift on. I took the struts to a local shop to have the coil springs swapped from the factory struts to the RS7000's I ordered with the kit. Trailered the truck to the alignment shop and after when I was on my way home which is about 35 miles I heard a loud bang and the front passenger corner of the truck dropped and was able to stop fairly quick. After looking it looks like the retaining ring the holds the lower coil perch had come off causing the spring to unload and drop to the bottom of the shock. I was only 2 miles from home so I was able to zip tie the spring to the UCA and lip it home. After getting it home in the shop I discovered it broke the aluminum ring on the factory upper mount. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this or have heard of this happening? I'm under the assumption it was installed improperly. Just wondering what anyone else's thoughts are. I'll try and add a few pic I took of the damage but having trouble. Thanks.

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
Create a photo bucket account, upload, then copy and paste the img tags in here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hopefully this will work thanks for the help. Now waiting to hear back from Rancho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I'm leaning that way as we'll just going to see what Rancho says.

·
NNBS ECSB
103 Posts
It looks to me as the lower mount broke free from its original location which should be up the strut more, approx halfway up the strut tube. In this case it would be rancho at fault. Could have been something installer did wrong or just a failed part from rancho.

·
Married and broke
1,854 Posts
That ring is welded to the shock body? I say a factory rancho defect. Get BOTH struts replaced when you do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has a snap ring that snaps into a groove. The snap ring is at the base of the shock it didn't break, it just came out of the groove. You would think if it wasn't in there very well it would have let go right away.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Why do they have a snap ring? If their meant for a fixed height that should be a welded ring. My rancho rs9000s for my lift had ring welded on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I'm not too sure why it's not a welded ring when it's a fixed height. Knowing the 9000 has a welded ring it might be worth the upgrade depending on what I hear back from rancho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We'll I just heard back and it was installer error, the ring that sits against the snap ring is machined to cover the snap ring and hold it in place. Now see how big of a deal it's be to deal with the shop that installed the coils. Looked at the other side and it's in upside down as we'll guess I'm lucky both sides didn't come apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts