GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the grey lower valance and want it to look like the stock black one. is there a good way to paint mine and get it to match the rest of the black trim or is that just a waste of time should i just try and get a stock back one. i searched it and only found one thing wondering if theres any other methods of painting it to get that factory black color?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dude, I cleaned mine real good with alcohol, let it dry a few minutes and then used adhesion promoter spray a few coats and then I used paint for plastic materials in the rattle can form..has been holding nicely so far..:worship:

·
mmm 24" Twisted Blades
2,929 Posts
i have the grey lower valance and want it to look like the stock black one. is there a good way to paint mine and get it to match the rest of the black trim or is that just a waste of time should i just try and get a stock back one. i searched it and only found one thing wondering if theres any other methods of painting it to get that factory black color?
for around $100 or a lil less you could get the "black" textured one from your dealer.

that's what i did.

w/tow hook holes
w/foglamp holes

gm # 10397999

before
SSGRILLE1.jpg

after
VALANCE1.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i wanted to try painting it tho since a can of spray paint is cheap what color should i use to try and match the other factory black plastics? satin black? not sure...if painting it turned out crappy tho i have an extra grey one i could put on until i go buy a stock black one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought black spray paint meant for plastics .. I think its called Krylon Fushion Black. Picked it up at the local hardware store and it matched very well.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I painted mine satin black, and while it's held up well, it has chipped over the years and I've had to repaint it

1-2-09HIDs007-2.jpg

·
You t-boned me bro!?
2,230 Posts
they make a trim paint that is black but its not a solid black. I think its meant for that. Check vatozone

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: lower. valance painting?

Clean it very good, wipe it down with alcohol, let it dry. plastic adhesion promoter, and SEM trim black

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
when we repaint the avalanche cladding it gets painted with a dye called gator back. when i get my valance im gonna put some black gator back on it. but i dont know how accessible this is to the public.

·
GMFS Military Member
1,177 Posts
id get the factory one imo just cause the paint could chip and such.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The truck looks sweet. And for certain parts of a vehicle I like to go rattle can target than deal with my paint booth. But don't forget a satin black bowtie to go with the new suit.
20200422_190249.jpg
20200423_142224.jpg

·
n. fil-dert.
7,009 Posts
Billet bow tie > satin black bow tie IMO. Just looks spray painted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts