GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating purchasing a 02 ecsb 4x4 after abandoning my search for a 2wd in my area. Where I live we typically get about 6 months of winter driving conditions, and 6 months of sunny summer driving. It's damn near impossible to find a clean used 2wd that doesn't have some hillbilly sticker package, running boards or chrome rocker mouldings and the ones that are worth test driving have way to many miles or the dreaded and annoying piston slap from Hell!!!!! :flame: So I've started looking at 4x4's and I'm considering building a dual purpose truck. lowered for the summer on some 20's or 22's and mildly lifted in the on some 325/ 60 or 65/18's for the winter. My questions are

-is 3"front /5" rear the most static drop possible?
-Anybody have any pics of an SS,C3 or denali with a 3/5 drop?
-Max lowering available by unscrewing stock torsion bars?
-is it possible to remove the factory installed 1 1/2 block (on 4x4's) in the rear for a drop equal to the thickness of the block?
-is the track width any different between a 2wd and 4wd

I know this probably sounds like alot of work but, I'm a licensed auto technician by trade with all the tools at my disposal to preform this swap in a weekend (I think!!!) If there is anything I've overlooked let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
So if I read t5his right you want to seasonally change the height of your vehicle? Sounds like a lot of work that could get annoying...just my .02 worth.

Max drop on 4x4's is 3/5. Reason you can't go lower is you'd run into axle binding. I've heard of a few lowered NBS 4x4's even binding on a 3" drop up front so even that may be a bit much. In fact, I know a few with C3's and SS's that have tried the drop and get some binding....not good.

I don't see what you can't remove the block and drop it but you MIGHT need a pinion shim and I haven't seen a 4x4 dropped that way.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Well I think I have a 6" drop in the rear cause I have 2" Belltech shackles, 2" Mcgaughy hanger and took out the lift block. I did put in the shim that came with the shackles too. I'm not sure on the drop I got in the front, I have 2" drop spindles and new Belltech torsion bar keys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts