GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Weird Turns Pro.
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Phil, a 15 year old, but I get my license and car in a year. I am getting a GM fullsized truck or SUV, I haven't quite decided yet. I just wanted to know if there are any lowering kits (2/4, 3/5, or any of that variety) to lower a 2000 or up 4WD Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, or any of their GMC or Cadillac counterparts. The reason is I live in Massachusetts, and I need a 4WD truck to get me through the winters. But the thing is, I don't want to leave my trucks suspension setup stock, but I also don't want to lift it becuase I like the lowered look better. If anybody can help me with this, I would appriciate it.

"Chevrolet for life" :bowtie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Slash4824 said:
My name is Phil, a 15 year old, but I get my license and car in a year. I am getting a GM fullsized truck or SUV, I haven't quite decided yet. I just wanted to know if there are any lowering kits (2/4, 3/5, or any of that variety) to lower a 2000 or up 4WD Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, or any of their GMC or Cadillac counterparts. The reason is I live in Massachusetts, and I need a 4WD truck to get me through the winters. But the thing is, I don't want to leave my trucks suspension setup stock, but I also don't want to lift it becuase I like the lowered look better. If anybody can help me with this, I would appriciate it.

"Chevrolet for life" :bowtie:
When I first saw the thread title I shook my head in sadness, but after reading your post I understand your situation. The only person that I know of that has a lowered 4x4 is QuicksilverZ71. You might wana PM him and see what his setup is.

Good luck on the truck and make sure to hook us up with pics when you get done with the drop. :rocking:
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
No offense but you really should just get a 2wd. Tons of people live in the north and get along just fine with them. It may not be as nice but you dont NEED a 4wd. Just seems like a waste of a good 4x4 to lower it to me.
 

·
Weird Turns Pro.
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dark Eternal said:
No offence but you really should just get a 2wd. Tons of people live in the north and get along just fine with them. It may not be as nice but you dont NEED a 4wd. Just seems like a waste of a good 4x4 to lower it to me.
If you saw the hills that are around my town, u would know why i need 4wd
 

·
Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
i used to think that lowering a 4x4 was a waste, but here lately, ive been looking at some of the faster trucks on LS1tech, alot are 4x4s. traction is great! i thought the SS was a waste when i found out it was AWD, but seriously i think they have an advantage. there are many ways to lower a 4x4. they sell different LCAs, and also different T-bar keys to lower it in the front. in the back you can lower it the same as you would a 2wd.
 

·
Zombie Squad
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
umm doesnt lowerering a 4wd defeat the purpose?? if ur in snow...and ur truck is lowered u shouldnt be driving in it...cause u might mess up the trucks body or something...sorry but i think its really stupid
 

·
03 Tahoe
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
I won't go into the whole whether or not you should drop a 4x4 or whether a 2wd would be better. That's totally your choice. However, you do need to know that you can only drop a 4x4 3/5 max safely. Why? If you go lower, particularly up front, you'll get some nasty cv angles.....any more than 3" will be problematic. You can drop them, you can do it safely, but you can't go very low.

Cameron
 

·
Weird Turns Pro.
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont want to lower it a lot. If i did, id get airbags (which i will eventually). I just want to bring it down a little, i think a 2/4 would be the best. My plan is to lower it, and then have either 20 or 22 inch rims for the summer, and when winter rolls around, i can just take the rims off and i would still have reasonable ground clearance to be able to go through at least a few inches of snow. the thing with the 4wd is, we had a rain storm early in december, and overnight it froze on the streets, and then it started to snow in the morning. and when everyone was trying to get up the hills to the high school, the only people getting anywhere were people in 4wd trucks and suvs and people in subarus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Physh1 and lowred pretty much covered it. You need the 4x4 for winter i say fuck what other people think and do it be different, and you'll be as low as some cars that drive in the snow :read: so you wont be f'n up your boddy. Look in the the lowering kit by belltech its pretty good, and check out Quicksilver's 4x4 its pretty sick! and a good example of what yours could look like.

Dan
 

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
Joined
·
5,501 Posts
If you lower it 2/4, it will look like a leveled out 2wd...which isn't bad if you get the right size tires on ur 20s or 22s. And if you take off any indication that its 4wd (stickers, badges, whatever), do a few lil engine mods...you can kill people racin and not have to worry about traction...
 

·
Weird Turns Pro.
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RedneckDude said:
...And if you take off any indication that its 4wd (stickers, badges, whatever), do a few lil engine mods...you can kill people racin and not have to worry about traction...
Thats perfect. For some reason, like 20 families of brazilian people moved to my town for about the last year or so. They all drive either honda civics, hyundais or kias, and there all ghetto souped up. Im talkin cut springs, universal mufflers, 17 inch pep boys wheels, and chicken wire grilles :anitoof: . some have even spray painted their tailights for an altezza look, and then they put a strip of electrical tape over the top of their headlights to use as "eyelids" :nono: . its pathetic. I would love to put them in their place with a truck.
 

·
Weird Turns Pro.
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dunno, im startin to think id rather lift it. Ive been on the fence mostly about what ill do with the suspension on my truck. The thing with liftin it is, all the girls around here r short, so I'd have to throw them into the back seat :anitoof:, even if i had nerf bars. I've got some more thinkin and research to do. Maybe I should just flip a coin...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I'v seen a 4/6 on a 01 4x4 with 20" but in the winter he ran stock rims an still ended up making a plow truck with his front bumper.
 

·
Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
onyx_silverado said:
hell ya.. go go for the 4x4.... on ls1tech theres a dude named parish who has a 4x4 that tears ass outta everything on the road... its sick...
this is one of the dudes i was talking about in my first post :rocking:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top