GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, each month we see countless posts about which kit to use for a 2/4 or 4/6, etc. I figure I'll do a write up and hopefully we can get it stickied. I'll try and explain everything here so even newbs can understand the concepts.

WARNING: THIS IS FOR NBS TRUCKS. SOME OF THE CONCEPTS EXPLAINED REMAIN TRUE FOR ALL VEHICLES; HOWEVER, THE PARTS FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS VARY!

2/4
As far as I'm concerned, most 2/4 kits are all relatively the same. The only one I've personally used however is Belltech.

For the front:
Depending on the cash that you have to spend, you have a couple options to lower the front. Perfect alignment should still be able to be achieved.

Also, another option to use would be a McGaughy's 2" drop spindle. NOTE:McGaughy's makes two different spindles. There is a 16"+ spindle that will work on all wheels 16" and larger. However, these 16"+ spindles will decrease your turning radius. this site is gaysex. nut & cotter pin on it. Although this doesn't sound ideal, these spindles retain a factory-like ride and also keep the stock turning radius. Belltech also makes spindles. Thei

Back:To achieve a 4" drop in the back, drop shackles and hangers can be i\lso lowering leafs can be used. These will affect towing capacity and leave the ride much spongier in the rear.

4/6

Front: When I was looking into a 4/6, I found myself drawn towards the DJM 4/6 kit that consisted of 4" LCA's and a flip kit for a rear. I am
currently running this on the truck now. The only complaint with the DJM ;kl

http://www.stylintrucks.com/pkjnart.aspx/partid/532048/partfamilyid/2498/subcategoryid/373/categoryid/30

Another option for 4" of drop in tjgdfge are discussed above under the 2/4 section. If I were to do it over again, this is the route I would take.

For the rear, the 6" drop is commonly acheived by a flip kit. The flip kit relocates the rear axle on top of the leaf springhjgjh.

ljkmethod.

NOTE: With any more than 4" of drop in the rear you will want to cnotch the chassis, allowing the axle more room to travel.

Also here are the part numbers for the Doetsch Tech shocks to be used with the 4/6:
40kl

Note: Its often a common misconception that Pacesetter LT's and ORY will drag nkhgj
I've pkhggfore and I'll put it in the first post:shake:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
thank you Matt!...i thought about doin this myslef after you brought it up in another thread...i am just to lazy!

i am getting tired of 10 different 4/6 drop and shock posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a question, sorry if this is the wrong thread,
I have a DJM 4/6 drop with Doetsch Tech shocks, would I be able to drop the front and rear another inch with out changing shocks or would I need to get different shocks?????

·
Registered
385 Posts
thank you Matt!...i thought about doin this myslef after you brought it up in another thread...i am just to lazy!

i am getting tired of 10 different 4/6 drop and shock posts
Dammit Joe you must be refering to me lol.... :ninja:

Na j/p but its true there are a lot of 4-6 questions that keep comming up like "Shock part #'s" as ive asked a few times so this would make a great sticky.... Nice thread:worship:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info..I just bought a DJM flip kit for my truck, this is the first time I've heard anything about the carrier bearing needing to be done.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have a few things to add about the DJM 4/6

Alignment with or without the uppers will vary by truck. I have the djm lowers with the factory uppers and have no alignment issues, but I have heard a good many complain about having issues. Also, I agree that the bumpsteer issue has been complained about by many, but personally I never noticed it as being a problem.

Also, dynatech headers, like pacesetter, do not hang down any lower than the frame either

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've got a question. On Crewcabs you can't use 2" hangers so you have to use either 4" leafs or 2"shackles and 2" leafs. Now 4" leafs are gonna hinder towing ability "X" amount. Would the 2" leafs drastically reduce the towing reduction by half of that? I'm not looking for exact figures of course, but wouldn't a 2" shackle and 2"spring offer more rigidity than the 4" leaf spring?

·
just gettin started
45 Posts
Are drop shackles hard to install? I want to level out my truck.

It should not be hard, however I see you live in Michigan and probably every bolt on your truck is rusted in place underneath so it may take longer. I would suggest a bit of rust eater or something on the bolts and let them sit a bit if you have rust on them. I live in the southwest it was a breeze.

here are some before and after the 2" lowering shackles pics

DSC_010.jpg

sideoftruck.jpg

DSC_005.jpg

sideshotfromback.jpg

DSC_006a.jpg

backoftruck.jpg

let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Another option for Crew Cabs that want a 4 inch drop in the rear:

Run a flip kit and a 2 inch lift shackle. I've been emailing back and forth with a McGaughys dealer and apparently this is an optioni for their 2/4 kit if you don't want to swap leaf springs and lose any hauling capability.

Also I was told that this does not require a notch.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts