GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Truck Enthusiast
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some concerns about lowering my truck. It is a 2011 Sierra crew cab. I removed the factory 1" block so the truck sits level right now (well 1/2" higher in the back).
I just purchased the McGaughy adjustable kit 34070 that includes drop spindles, adjustable struts, and a flip kit. Ideally, I would like to do a 4/4 to keep it level. Maybe a 4/5.

If I want to drop the front 4”, will I mess up the CV joints or wear them out prematurely? What concerns do I need to know about going lower than 2” with 4wd on a NNBS?

What is the lowest I can go in the back without needing a notch or helper bags? I would like to tow a mini truck on a trailer a couple times a year. Will 4” be ok or will I bottom out a lot without a notch? Do I need helper bags with a 4" drop?

Last question, will I need the belltech transmission shim since I have a crew cab?

I posted a couple days ago in some older threads, but I haven't received any replies. The threads are fairly old (sticky), so I thought I might get better responses with a new one.

·
Truck Enthusiast
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a 2008 sierra crew cab 4WD dropped 4/6. I personally wouldn't go any lower then 4" in the front. When I first did my truck I just did the flip kit and pancake style bump stops and I DIDN'T bottom out. I now have helpers just in case I want to tow or haul something. If your gonna be towing a car trailer I'd defiantly get some helpers. At 6" in the rear you won't need a notch. My belltech kit came with a trans spacer so I installed it, I have no vibrations. I remember reading that 2010+ I believe has vibration issues. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

·
Truck Enthusiast
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2008 sierra crew cab 4WD dropped 4/6. I personally wouldn't go any lower then 4" in the front. When I first did my truck I just did the flip kit and pancake style bump stops and I DIDN'T bottom out. I now have helpers just in case I want to tow or haul something. If your gonna be towing a car trailer I'd defiantly get some helpers. At 6" in the rear you won't need a notch. My belltech kit came with a trans spacer so I installed it, I have no vibrations. I remember reading that 2010+ I believe has vibration issues. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.
Thanks truckindude. I am only going 4" in the front and I guess I will have to see how it goes if I need to order the spacer for the transmission or not.

Maybe I won't need the helper bags if I'm only at a 4" or 5" drop in the rear, but I won't find out until mid July when I am using the trailer. Sounds like I won't need a notch though.

I appreciate the feedback!

·
The Lowering Experts
1,670 Posts
I agree with the max drop of 4" in the front. From the feedback I have received from our 4WD customers it does cause a headache being lower.

Since you purchased the McG flip kit yes you will need the transmission spacer. There is a small chance you might need pinon shims as their saddles do not always correct the pinon angle.

If you do a 5" drop you won't need a notch. The AirLift SlamAir kit is never a bad idea as it will help make the ride quality a bit better while daily driving and towing.

·
Truck Enthusiast
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the max drop of 4" in the front. From the feedback I have received from our 4WD customers it does cause a headache being lower.

Since you purchased the McG flip kit yes you will need the transmission spacer. There is a small chance you might need pinon shims as their saddles do not always correct the pinon angle.

If you do a 5" drop you won't need a notch. The AirLift SlamAir kit is never a bad idea as it will help make the ride quality a bit better while daily driving and towing.
Thank you for the advice, Kris. I will give you a call if I need the transmission or the pinion shims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts