GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has an 01' Yukon. 4 door, w/ 4 wheel drive. He's been trying to look into some lowering kits that are available for a 4x4 GM suv.

I think he has been looking into anything from a 3/4 to a 4/6 drop. I can really help him as much as I can since I have never lowered a 4x4, and the Suspensions between my truck and his yukon are completely different.

What's the best way to drop this vehicle? He probably is going to run 20's on a wide 45 or 50 series tire.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
What's the best way to drop this vehicle?
sell it and get a 2wd. lowering a 4x4 will seriously fuck up steering/suspension geometry and make it ride like shit and break stuff faster than putting an 10 foot tall lift kit would

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Nah, he can get away with 2" up front. Just get some new torsion keys, that would be the cheapest way to do it. Out back I think you would need some shorter coils.
yeah, he could get new keys up front for 2", and maybe decrank another inch to gain 3 up front. I guess shorter coils would be the only way you can get the rear down.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there alot of room in the back for axle/frame clearnace for say a 4" drop??

I know Quicksilverz71 lowered his truck like 3" in the front... how is that possible?

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
RedneckDude said:
yeah, he could get new keys up front for 2", and maybe decrank another inch to gain 3 up front. I guess shorter coils would be the only way you can get the rear down.
Thanks for sayin the same thing adam said :anitoof:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
RedneckDude said:
Isn't 3/5 about as low as you can go? which with a big enough tire would be fine, even 2/4 on the right tire/wheel will look fine.

·
5,501 Posts
tx marine said:
sell it and get a 2wd. lowering a 4x4 will seriously fuck up steering/suspension geometry and make it ride like shit and break stuff faster than putting an 10 foot tall lift kit would
I don't really know why you would say that. If he was talkin about baggin it, that could be a problem if he still wanted to get the 4wd to work and be really low, the CVs would bind too much. Theres a member here, quicksilverz71 or something like that i do believe that has a lowered 4x4 truck. Front end would be the same thing. he can still use his 4wd, so yeah, it is possible, and lowering a 4x4 won't break stuff faster than lifting it either, unless, like i said, you bag it, the CVs bind then. Having a really tall lift kit (10"-12" or so) won't hurt anythign either, until you run the bigger/heavier tires. the only way i can see lowering even remotely making anything break on a truck is of you have some big ass, heavier than stock rims on it or something like that.

·
5,501 Posts
bcubed said:
Isn't 3/5 about as low as you can go? which with a big enough tire would be fine, even 2/4 on the right tire/wheel will look fine.
From what i have seen, 3/5 is about as low as you can go with a 4x4. bigger tires and rims look pretty good IMO on a slightly lowered SUV. 22s with some like 45 series tires doesn't look bad at all on SUVs, but it probably wouldn't look right on most pickups lowered the same.

·
5,501 Posts
g_unit77 said:
Thanks for sayin the same thing adam said :anitoof:
hey now...i expanded a tad bit...its better than just sayin :word: :imo :read:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
I know Quicksilverz71 lowered his truck like 3" in the front... how is that possible?
Quiksilver has McGaughy's 2 inch spindles and belltech keys up front. Back im pretty sure he has shackles and hangers and he took out the stock 2 inch block for a 6 inch drop. But how is the rear suspension of a yukon set up, multi link?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
tx marine said:
since when do they make lowering spindles for a 4x4? or did he use 2wd ones?
im pretty sure the spindles are the same for 2wd and 4wd

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think they make them for 4x4's, because 2wd suspension is totally different from 4wd. I think I've seen them in a catalog too...somewhere...

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
heres a picture of a Mcghaudy spindle. could the hole in the middle be where the driveline would go through... or maybe im just a 15 year old that doesnt know shit? :think:

·
2,451 Posts
you can go 3/5.... it is the same kit as the 'lades and denalis and 2wds...i just checked the add in a mag.... it is 1" crank out of keys , 2" spindles and 5" drop springs and axle relocation ( im assuming that is new brackets for the links).. ....the 3/5 needs new shocks... I think lower than 3" of front drop you will have problems with the cvs binding.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. So we looked into is more and It looks like it's going to be 2" torsion Keys and 4" Belltech drop coils for the rear. Does the rear axle need to be relocated for a drop this low on the SUV's?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Slash4824 said:
heres a picture of a Mcghaudy spindle. could the hole in the middle be where the driveline would go through... or maybe im just a 15 year old that doesnt know shit? :think:

ok, i stand crooked. looks like the do make a lowering spindle for a 4x4. never seen one before. :think: you know how long those have been out?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
Ok. So we looked into is more and It looks like it's going to be 2" torsion Keys and 4" Belltech drop coils for the rear. Does the rear axle need to be relocated for a drop this low on the SUV's?
No but you need to get shorter shocks as they are the main component keeping the spring seated in the rear.

Personally I'd go with McGaughy's kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts