GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Is this thing on?
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 hours the LPP's are on. The look great, and fit ok. I installed them from the bottom. Slid right up. Installed the passenger side first.Put all the bolts in hand tight. While tightening them with a 3/8" rachet one broke off. I think maybe lpp should supply these with some grade 5 or better bolts. Its the one in the center thats side by side so i think i should be ok.
The drivers side went in effortless. Just the last bolt towards the rear is hard to get to.

The y pipe isn't the greatest fit. Had trouble getting it fitted into the headers. After I wrestled with that for 30 mins it finally seated. Well the y pipe and passenger side header almost hit the floor board. After i put the clamp on it rubs the floor board.

Next to the connector that connects to the stock donut. It didn't come with any bolts. Lucky i was able to use the bolts from the egr mount, and a nut from the stock manifolds. Got it connected, now it won't line up with the y pipe. So I might take it to an exhaust shop and have them just weld it all up.

Oh and i broke the dipstick while trying to remove it. So that will be ordered tomorrow.

Other then those few issues im pleased with the headers just the fit's a little off.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
:hmm:

The y pipes are a bitch to get together with the pacesetters too. Kinda weird that it rubs the floor though.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
lets see pics and hear a video. I want to order the headers only then take it to an exhaust shop for a custom Y to work with my diff drop :evil:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
y-pipe alignment (pacesetter) with my exhaust was a pain in the ass to say the least. Had to get the 10lb mini sledge a couple of times to get everything to line up.

Odd that it hits the floor, but if you remember the test truck is a lifted 4x4, so things are going to be off (seems odd they didnt try a stock truck for a test vehicle).

Sucks about the bolt, did it snap clean off? if theres some stickin out you might be able to get it loose with some vicegrips or weld a nut on the end. If its in the head, you might try that EZ-out thing they advertise on tv since its a fresh bolt. I doubt it'll seal right with a bolt missing.

Make sure you dont over-tighten them when they start to seat in the heads with heat cycles when you re-tighten them, little bolts don't like to be torqued very much :crazy:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
im posting from charleston as we speak...wish i would've been able to swing by but sis-in-law was riding with me so i didn't want to hold her up. that sucks that the dipstick broke..what happened? also, one of my bolts isn't in with my thorleys but i have no issue with them sealing:shake:

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
cool man. thursday mine are going on. what are the torque specs for the bolts? Im going to have to fab my y some how bc of the lift anyways, hopefully it works how ive got it planned.

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
Thats interesting... I have no problems with the fitment on mine at all. Not close to anything.

About the Y on my lifted 4x4. The 4x4 isnt going to matter with headers and such. I took the driveshaft out and put it where it would be stock when we did the mock up so that wasnt an issue. Everything fit cherry on my rig. I guess thats just due to GMs tolerances on things.

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
Its aftermarket shit, its not gm, so u are always gonna have fitment issues. Everyones truck is a lil diff and all the headers dont come out the same either, so there is ur variable. Just be happy they work for 500 bucks, thats dirt cheap.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Its aftermarket shit, its not gm, so u are always gonna have fitment issues. Everyones truck is a lil diff and all the headers dont come out the same either, so there is ur variable. Just be happy they work for 500 bucks, thats dirt cheap.
:werd07:

any pictures yet?

·
Is this thing on?
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm at work today, won't get pictures until tomorrow morning.

·
Is this thing on?
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok got some pictures. Ran to Napa and picked up a 3" band clamp to try and fix where its leaking at the Y connection. Helped a little but still leaking.

You can see here how close it is to the floorboard.

Here's where it bolts up to the stock mount, doesn't fit well here either..

They don't hang below the frame which is good.

I think it's going to be close here on the Y when I'm fully laid out.

Passenger side.

The broke bolt.

Steering shaft looks like it has enough room.

From the front.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
the last pic, is that crossmember drug through :insane: or am I looking at it wrong?

also I got a spare dipstick I believe want me to check?

·
Is this thing on?
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the last pic, is that crossmember drug through :insane: or am I looking at it wrong?

also I got a spare dipstick I believe want me to check?
Already got a dipstick, it came this morning! Thanks anyways. Yes the crossmember has been drug on a little....

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Here's a picture of that side on my sons truck. It's kinda hard to see the clearance but there is plenty.

Not says you did anything wrong but the flange holes are oversized so you can adjust the headers up and down a little for fittment. But everyone else is right also there is a lot of difference from truck to truck and even tho the headers are made in a jig they can vary some too.
I am glad everything went pretty well for you.

·
Is this thing on?
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a picture of that side on my sons truck. It's kinda hard to see the clearance but there is plenty.

Not says you did anything wrong but the flange holes are oversized so you can adjust the headers up and down a little for fittment. But everyone else is right also there is a lot of difference from truck to truck and even tho the headers are made in a jig they can vary some too.
I am glad everything went pretty well for you.
Don't get upset but I have a few suggestions. Instead of including free shipping on them for $500 shipped. Get rid of the shipping, add in the appropriate hard ware for the kit. IE. Stainless bandclamps as opposed to the u bolt clamps, grade 8 bolts, then charge the customer the shipping, I'm sure it all could be done for around $500 still. It would make the installation process much easier. That way people aren't out running around for the parts.

This is just my thought, maybe some of the other guys who got them will chime up with some feedback also. All in all i would do it again, the headers are great!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Maybe draggin the shit out of it fucked up your frame a little. This pic looks like the crossmember is bashed in or is it just me?

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Don't get upset but I have a few suggestions. Instead of including free shipping on them for $500 shipped. Get rid of the shipping, add in the appropriate hard ware for the kit. IE. Stainless bandclamps as opposed to the u bolt clamps, grade 8 bolts, then charge the customer the shipping, I'm sure it all could be done for around $500 still. It would make the installation process much easier. That way people aren't out running around for the parts.

This is just my thought, maybe some of the other guys who got them will chime up with some feedback also. All in all i would do it again, the headers are great!
Id rather have the free shipping. I can get bolts and band clamps cheaper than the price of shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts