GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I plan on making an lq4 for whatever 3/4 ton chevy I get. Here is my question...

To keep things a bit on the simple side, I would not at all mind running a carb. I have heard there was a ls1 carb intake on the horizon, but I have yet to see any proof on it. I'm gonna be going for about 435hp at the crank, which is no real daunting task by any means. I could always just bolt on ls6 stuff if I cannot get the carb setup. Looking for reliability and performance and I believe the 6.0 is just the ticket.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh believe me, I am 100% aware of the benefits of the technology.

The truck will be getting worked. I feel that having something far more simple will be beneficial simply in the fact that there is less to deal with. While it may take more tinkering with a carb, there is cheaper horsepower to be had. Working on a carb is easy even when your not in your driveway. This cannot be said on the more modern efi systems. Far more reliable in many cases, yes, but on a truck that will be so meticulously maintained anyway...why not keep it as simple as possible? Im just playing with ideas for now so nothing is set in stone by any means.

For now, I think I am going to go with a lq4 block, 10:1 pistons (or thereabouts), slightly worked over ls6 heads, and probably an ls6 intake/injection system.

My next question brings me to transmissions. I have heard the lq4 is slightly different then your average everyday gen 1 smallblock...1 bolt does not line up I have heard? I plan on using a nv4500 tranny, the same one I believe is used in the standard 2500hd to this day. So just to be certain before I buy anything, I would like to know if the bellhousings are the same or If I will have to get a nv4500 right out of a newer 6.0 powered truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts