GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what the weaknesses are for the LQ4s. I am building an 03 twin turbo LQ4 for my Z32 and I'm wondering if I should replace anything. I am putting in ARP Main Studs, ARP Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, A.R.E. 4-Stage Dry Sump System, and an LS2 intake manifold/throttle body. I only plan to run 7-10 p.s.i. so I don't think I'll have any problems but I figured I should ask since the motor will be out for a while longer. Thanks guys!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
sounds like you got it pretty well covered for the 500+ hp itll be putting out. Dan ran his 5.3 for thousands of miles pushing out like 650 hp.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I would do forged rods and pistons but that's just me because you KNOW that your going to want more than 7-10 psi after driving it for a few months :imo

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
I would do forged rods and pistons but that's just me because you KNOW that your going to want more than 7-10 psi after driving it for a few months :imo
If I was going to throw a turbo/supercharger on any used motor over 50k Id rebuild it with forged internals.
Unless i couldnt afford it, then Id just hold off until it blew on me

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
good point...theres so much left with TTs than 7-10 psi...

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a little worried about that but the way I see it is if I want to up the boost I'll pay for it, one way or another.... :rofl2:

If I was going to throw a turbo/supercharger on any used motor over 50k Id rebuild it with forged internals.
Unless i couldnt afford it, then Id just hold off until it blew on me
5 miles on the motor so I hope it will last a while... :cheers:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
your planning on sticking this in the Toyota? This is a wheelin vehicle right? Dont you think a supercharged LQ4 would do a lot better in that type of vehicle?

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, not my Toyota. I'm putting this one in my 90 300ZX. I'm going with twins because one day I will build a Warhawk to replace the LQ4.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
well fuck the warhawk and just bore the LQ4 out to an iron block 408, twins and your looking at somewhere around 800-1000hp :imo

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL! I've kinda been thinking about that 408 too. I need to decide if the Warhawk is worth it. Lucky for me I'll have some time to think about it! :D Oh yeah, I have another question, can you run in speed density with turbos?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
LOL! I've kinda been thinking about that 408 too. I need to decide if the Warhawk is worth it. Lucky for me I'll have some time to think about it! :D Oh yeah, I have another question, can you run in speed density with turbos?
I dont think a $15k block is worth it, thats just the shortblock isnt it? You could do a whole TT forged 408 setup for around 7K

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why spend all that cash on studs and retain stock pistons? :hmm: I wouldn't be worried about stock rods, they're plenty strong.

Why not just stroke the VG30DET to about 3.3L and add a pair TD06-20Gs and you'll be able to make 1000rw with driveline and fuel supports. Not to mention be lighter in the front end. :imo

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just stroke the VG30DET to about 3.3L and add a pair TD06-20Gs and you'll be able to make 1000rw with driveline and fuel supports. Not to mention be lighter in the front end. :imo
Because I believe that the Gen III/IVs are better engines. Plus, the car was a N/A to begin with.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! :shake: It is true though, more power stock, lighter, better design and capable of more power and torque. How could I go wrong? :bowtie:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Thanks! :shake: It is true though, more power stock, lighter, better design and capable of more power and torque. How could I go wrong? :bowtie:
the crank is capable of up to 1000hp by itself, rods and usually good up to about 600hp. I still think they have pretty much unlimited power if you have it tuned properly

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Ohhh, I thought the vehicle was already a Twin Turbo.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the crank is capable of up to 1000hp by itself, rods and usually good up to about 600hp. I still think they have pretty much unlimited power if you have it tuned properly
:jawdrop: That's what I'm talking about!!! :worship:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts