GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Stocklook said:
what kind of power can be expected from this, and how much cooler will it run compared to stock system

8-12rwhp maybe, it's noticable. I like it as the WHRRRRRR of the stock fan is gone and the engine Rev's easier too. I have the same setup on my F150 also.

You can have the fans to come on at any predetermined temprature dependant on your fan controller. I have the newer 4 heatsink Flex-A-Lite VSCs on each truck but would like to upgrade to the DC-Control setup to control the fans.

I have no cooling issues in the Texas heat with those fans.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hitman - where did you get your VSC's? I ask because they are the heavier duty, 40amp units (have the four heatsinks) and as I'm told arent as readily availible as the regular 30amp VCS's. the 30 amp versions are the ones packaged as a "kit" with all the wiring and such. Flex-a-lite tells me that the 40amp unit comes with thier dual fan setups and its not offered in kit form.
My 30amp VSC recently quit driving my LS1 fans, would blow fuse on startup, so now I'm jsut running one fan. After calling Flex, I found out about this heavier duty unit.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
ibthumpin said:
Hitman - where did you get your VSC's? I ask because they are the heavier duty, 40amp units (have the four heatsinks) and as I'm told arent as readily availible as the regular 30amp VCS's. the 30 amp versions are the ones packaged as a "kit" with all the wiring and such. Flex-a-lite tells me that the 40amp unit comes with thier dual fan setups and its not offered in kit form.
My 30amp VSC recently quit driving my LS1 fans, would blow fuse on startup, so now I'm jsut running one fan. After calling Flex, I found out about this heavier duty unit.

I traded mine up from the smaller 2 sink ones before FAL decided to sue that company that made their VSCs. It was a free upgrade. The 40A was (I think still is) offered in a kit like the smaller one was also. I used to have the part numbers.

Biggest problem was the subpar wiring, I stepped up to 10awg wire and all was well WITH a big car audio fuse holder. I had my 12awg wire melt too many times... this setup works fine.

FuseHolders.jpg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
12secSS said:
Are you guys swapping in the e-fans from F-bodies (1998-2002 Camaros/Firebirds)? :think: Is this the LS1 fan mod?

Yup, that's them. :D I paid like $80 or 90 for the fans on both my trucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm, contemplating removing the race cars OEM fans, replacing them with aftermarket, and installing them on the Sierra. :roflmao: :waytogo:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
12secSS said:
Hmm, contemplating removing the race cars OEM fans, replacing them with aftermarket, and installing them on the Sierra. :roflmao: :waytogo:

LOL, sounds like a plan. More power is good! :anitoof:

Here's what mine looked like before I changed controllers and put in a 34' radiator. lol

LS1Fans.jpg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
way2hi said:
Do you have to have the VSC? I have a set of LS1 fans I got for $27 and was wondering if that's all I needed?

Sure do. I have the 4 heat sink version. I'd look at the www.dccontrol.com it's a much better piece. It's what I plan to upgrade to here. :shake:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I have an OBS vortec 5.7, could I get some LS1 fans and retrofit them to work? Would they provide enough cooling capacity for the slightly larger displacement motor(I don't know if it puts out more heat than a 5.3 or not)? I would love to spend ~$100 to have an electric fan setup with a manual control, it would be very beneficial offroading.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
bggrnchvy said:
I have an OBS vortec 5.7, could I get some LS1 fans and retrofit them to work? Would they provide enough cooling capacity for the slightly larger displacement motor(I don't know if it puts out more heat than a 5.3 or not)? I would love to spend ~$100 to have an electric fan setup with a manual control, it would be very beneficial offroading.

They cool my Z and F150 fine in Texas heat.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
What kind of driving do you do? City? Highway? If I do this I don't want to have inadequate fans for off roading. My temp never goes above 210 degrees when wheeling now, so Id like to pick up the hp and mostly tq.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
bggrnchvy said:
What kind of driving do you do? City? Highway? If I do this I don't want to have inadequate fans for off roading. My temp never goes above 210 degrees when wheeling now, so Id like to pick up the hp and mostly tq.

Lots of both, you can make the fans come on around 170° at low speed if you desire. Again, they cool my trucks fine here in Texas.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
This sounds excellent. How long to the electric motors last in these fans (miles)?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
bggrnchvy said:
This sounds excellent. How long to the electric motors last in these fans (miles)?

It'd be dependant on usage not milage. I've seen e-fans from cars in the early 80s vintage still running...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts