GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question for all of ya...

I want to swap my LR4 4.8l v8 in my 2005 RST regency truck for an LS1. I have absoluty no clue what i need on it to get the power i want...

I'd like to have 450hp to the rear wheels and keep the price of the engine build within $4000.00... any idea's/suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this a build the motor the put it in or do you have the time for the truck to be down? If you have time for the truck to be down I would mod the 4.8 block. Iron block is stronger than the LS1 aluminum block.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
You aren't going to put down 450 to the rear wheels without going to some form of forced induction. I would do an lq4/lq9 over an ls1 any day just because people usually ask ridiculous prices for ls1 engines.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
lol

I haven't seen a 5.7 swap in AGES. Hell the only one I can recall is the dude Austin on here "VicRedV8" and that was back when I got run over I guess in 2004.

Do a good LQ4 and put a small shot of nitrous on it.

Or just put a turbocharger on what you have now. There are a few for sale on this board I think even. This would be your best bet.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
:word: to everyone else an LS1 is going to cost SOO much more. That's why everyone drops 6.0's in, price. They make roughly the same power in stock form anyway.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree, buying an LS1 to swap in, and building it to 450 whp naturally aspirated is going to cost you some coin. Recently I've been pricing out some Head/Cam packages to hop up the output of the LS6 in my Z06, and to get to a solid 450+ at the wheels takes a little bit of money, not including the price of the motor.

For your truck the LQ's are a proven bet... I'd look more into that route (I want one!)

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree, buying an LS1 to swap in, and building it to 450 whp naturally aspirated is going to cost you some coin. Recently I've been pricing out some Head/Cam packages to hop up the output of the LS6 in my Z06, and to get to a solid 450+ at the wheels takes a little bit of money, not including the price of the motor.

For your truck the LQ's are a proven bet... I'd look more into that route (I want one!)

I remember when the C5 Z06 came out, there were people that could drive it run 12 flat/high 11.9s with it bone stock. Not saying you haven't, but I'd learn how to get every ounce out of that fuck before I did much to it as there is just so much potential in the thing as it sits.

Never messed with my '01 as it was in and out of the dealer as it would "brown-out" just at random and go into that reduced power mode or just turn off totally... so that scared me off of mods due to the cost of the vehicle. I didn't want to be denied a warranty for bullshit I did, even if it was replace that comically small stock air intake.

Remember the '01/02 only had VERY slight differences. Diff cat pipe, mildly different camshaft, diff trans gears, hollow valves, etc.

Only thing I'd do to one would be a cam upgrade, pulley, ported TB, intake, and retune. Stock manifolds are basically headers, peep Car Craft a few years or so back on a dyno back to back of them vs LTs... you'd be VERY surprised at the limited power gains.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I remember when the C5 Z06 came out, there were people that could drive it run 12 flat/high 11.9s with it bone stock. Not saying you haven't, but I'd learn how to get every ounce out of that fuck before I did much to it as there is just so much potential in the thing as it sits.

Never messed with my '01 as it was in and out of the dealer as it would "brown-out" just at random and go into that reduced power mode or just turn off totally... so that scared me off of mods due to the cost of the vehicle. I didn't want to be denied a warranty for bullshit I did, even if it was replace that comically small stock air intake.

Remember the '01/02 only had VERY slight differences. Diff cat pipe, mildly different camshaft, diff trans gears, hollow valves, etc.

Only thing I'd do to one would be a cam upgrade, pulley, ported TB, intake, and retune. Stock manifolds are basically headers, peep Car Craft a few years or so back on a dyno back to back of them vs LTs... you'd be VERY surprised at the limited power gains.

yeah, there's a recent article of a guy with a black '01Z on bolt on head kit and cam with stock bottom and 4.10's and slicks running 9's. No pump or juice. Unbelievable. :hmm:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
yeah, there's a recent article of a guy with a black '01Z on bolt on head kit and cam with stock bottom and 4.10's and slicks running 9's. No pump or juice. Unbelievable. :hmm:

Yup, it's an incredible machine. I almost bought the Z06 in white with the red/black interior instead of the rag top, but I just prefer having the ability to drop the top as fast as I can make panties drop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts