GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If you drive it like an old man yeah. But why put a high performance motor in without making the tranny high performance too. I know someone who just recently did a 6.0 swap and fried his tranny like I told him he would. IMO Have it rebuilt to a 65e or get an 80e. Oh and you might want to look into beefing up the rear end as well.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Try performancetrucks.net for parts like this. There's usually a lot of trannys in the classifieds already built for what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
you have to do gears in the front too not just the rear....means how it's 4wd

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'm not sure, I don't know you or your mechanical ability. But a lot of people do it themselves. You could if you learned how and took your time. But if you doubt yourself at all then don't bother messing with it.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
performabuilt or finish line transmissions are top notch trans builders

no need to swap gears IF you dont want to. most id do is a tru-trac swap, if you wanted your stock gears.

·
GMFS Military Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok..... i feel like a noob..... i think it may have to do with how im sick as hell right now... but.....
How do i do a full transplant from a 4.8L Vortec in a 2000 Gmc Sierra 1500 to a LS1 out of C5 corvette. Include all the minor things.... so that when i get that list done its turn key power

·
GMFS Military Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also since this truck is a daily driver..... i think im gonna go buy another tranny at a junk yard and have it built so i can do a relatively "quick" turn around.... meaning take a day to do the rear end.... a day to do the tranny and a day or 2 to put in the whole power train

Does that seem feasible?

also what is the "name"/ numeric code of a stock tranny so i know what to look for

·
GMFS Military Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also since this truck is a daily driver..... i think im gonna go buy another tranny at a junk yard and have it built so i can do a relatively "quick" turn around.... meaning take a day to do the rear end.... a day to do the tranny and a day or 2 to put in the whole power train

Does that seem feasible?

also what is the "name"/ numeric code of a stock tranny so i know what to look for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.