GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys i have a 88 k2500 pickup... the newer body style with the ifs... anway i am going to be buying a 383 crate motor for my trans am this summer and i wanted to take the motor out of my trans am and put it in my truck since my 350 in my truck has 252k on the motor... anyway i was wondering if that motor would bolt right in? also how hard would it be to hook my stock wiring harness up to it? would it be a big noticable difference in power from my tired old 350... would it be worth the effort? or should i just rebuild the old 350?

·
How y'all durrren?!
246 Posts
The LT1 will mount up to your transmission, though I can't say for sure if the motor mounts are in the same place. You'll need an LT1 PCM since the TBI unit you have now won't work, and as such I'm sure there will be a lot of wiring work to make the swap. Plus depending on the year of your Trans Am, you'll need to set up a TV cable (93's have it) for the 700R-4 you have in your truck, or swap to a 4L60E to retain the computer control in the LT1 PCM (94+). There's a place here in Texas that does a lot of LT1/LS1 swaps that may be able to help you some: http://www.hpsalvage.com/ They mostly deal with the parts, but the guys are pretty cool and may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Honestly, the LT1 is a great motor, but I don't think it would be worth the effort unless you were serious about making some power. If you're just looking for something to move your truck, a rebuild should do you fine and be much less of a headache - plus it may actually be cheaper in the end.

Hope that helps some.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts