GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of all 11 fittings on my 2001 Suburban, all but two ooze grease. Pics below. Most look like the have small holes or cracks in the boots. But on the idler arm and pitman arm, the boot is all but gone. Totally disintegrated. I figure since I'm doing a suspension lift in a couple months, I'll replace all the cracked boots with new ones and new idler/pitman arms. But first I have a couple of questions.

-Does anyone make poly boots for the NBS suspensions?
-I've seen a huge range in prices for idler arm / pitman arms. Whats the difference? Which ones are better?

On a positive note, at least my brake pads and hubs are in good shape.

Thats should be about it, on with the pics:

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
It looks like a shop used a needle full of grease to lube your truck...

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
So, as for the pitman and ilder arms. Since it doesnt go offroad, will the $20 ebay ones do, or should I get the $50 ones at the local autoparts store? Any brands to stay away from? Actually I've seen them range from $50 to $150.

Do these seem ok?

Personally, IMHO, I wouldn't put or use a $20.00 steering part on my truck. Just because you are not going to go offroad doesn't mean your front steering parts aren't going to wear. I bit the bullet and used Spicer suspension parts in my rig, they weren't cheap but at least I have piece of mind knowing I have quality parts in my front end. Remember, "The bitterness of cheap quality remains long after the sweetness of low prices are gone". I know everybody can't afford to go out and buy the Cadillac parts for their rigs but in the case of your steering components, I'd make an exception. Oh, and if you want polyurethane boots check out Energy Suspension or Daystar.

·
Registered
551 Posts
go get heim steering and u dont have to worry about tht grease stuff again and get dual shock upper arm and then all u have will be 4 grease points instead of 11?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts