GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few of you guys here running wheel spacers or adapters. How'd you go about tightening those up? Use stock lugs or aftermarket ones? I've considered either turning down my 22mm socket to see if it'll fit, or looking for different lugs with a smaller outside diameter and hex.

Sent from my ADR6200 ERIS using Tapatalk

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
How big of a spacer are you using? I had 1.5" on my old truck and I could fit a socket no problem. They also came with their own lug nuts, so I could use the OEM nuts with the wheels.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.5". No way my socket is fitting in the counterbore for the lugs. Neither the 1/2" or 3/8" drive sockets are small enough. The most practical solution I see is to find new lugs with the same metric thread pitch but smaller O.D. The lugs included with the spacers are standard thread.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check tomorrow if any local parts houses have a 14mm x 1.5 with a 19mm or ~3/4" hex. If not I'll have to order them. The 22mm hex on my stock lugs just won't work.

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
Well that sucks. Makes you wonder why the manufacturer would sell a spacer that standard sockets wouldn't work with.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won't fit Brandon unless I hammer it in the bore. Grabbed one this morning to measure and the 22 would be a slight interference fit. I did find smaller lugs that will work though.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You should be able to use the stock lug nuts on the adapters, then you will need what I think they call tuner style lug nuts, and they should come with a key...

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could use them, but unless I'm missing something I see no way to get a 22mm socket on them. A thin wall doesn't even fit :think:

Unless someone has another suggestion I'm just gonna order special lugs with a smaller hex.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Ur not understanding. There are regular 22mm sockets an then super thin walled sockets to fit in tight places. We had a set of regular sockets and a sry of thin walledsockets at the wheel shop for applications like u describe. U should never have to hammer a socket on. POst pics of what you have. Almost all aftermarket lugs are 19mm or 21mm btw
1st off dont use your factory lugs unless you are using stock wheels. I always had 21mm regular acorn lugs on my stock studs to hold the spacer on. Then aftermarket locking lugs to hold the wheels onto the spacers. Never used factory lugs on any wheel spacer or studs imo
The lug size u need is 14x1.5mm

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seller sent the wrong spacers Brandon. Emailed him the measurements I took and confirmed they're for a GM car with the same bolt spacing but 12mm x 1.5 studs. So that's why even a thin wall 22mm wouldn't fit. He's sending the correct ones.

Now why would I not want to use my stock lugs to hold the spacers on? Didn't realize it was an issue. I'd planned on just using the lugs that came with the spacers to hold the wheels on.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
So he sent you the wrong stud size? You should have 14x1.5mm studs/nuts. Usually they send the correct size lug nuts to fit inside the holes with a normal socket. I didn't need a special lug socket for mine. You need the smaller nuts he would have sent with the spacer as the OEM nuts are too big to fit with a socket as easily.

Also why do you keep saying 22mm socket? I've never encountered a set of lugs that used that size. Most commonly they are either 13/16 or 21mm which are nearly the same exact size. I think the smaller lug nuts they sent with my spacers used 3/4 or 19mm IIRC.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So he sent you the wrong stud size? You should have 14x1.5mm studs/nuts. Usually they send the correct size lug nuts to fit inside the holes with a normal socket. I didn't need a special lug socket for mine. You need the smaller nuts he would have sent with the spacer as the OEM nuts are too big to fit with a socket as easily.

Also why do you keep saying 22mm socket? I've never encountered a set of lugs that used that size. Most commonly they are either 13/16 or 21mm which are nearly the same exact size. I think the smaller lug nuts they sent with my spacers used 3/4 or 19mm IIRC.
Yea. The spacers fit the 14mm x 1.5 studs on the truck, but the counterbores are smaller due to them being for a 12mm x 1.5 stud. Oh well.

The spacers he sent have 1/2-20 threads on the studs and came with lugs matching those. They have a 3/4" hex. Seller is "rigged up" on ebay by the way. Once I get the correct spacers I'm sure my OEM lugs will fit or certainly an aftermarket acorn style will with no problem. I didn't ask why the studs on the spacers are SAE pitch when they're going on a vehicle with SI studs.

I've used a 22mm on the OBS since I've had it, because that's what fits. A 21mm socket is too small. Never thought to try a standard socket on it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yeah, check that. My adapters came with new lug nut on them. Stock ones were not re-used! Thanks Brandon. :shake:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 3/4" fits fine. Think I should still return the ones I have, or just use these since obviously lugs are available?

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:think:

Brandon, I do have 14mm x 1.5 studs on the truck. The studs on the spacers are 1/2-20.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts