GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to take the tire off our Ram today as it was completely flat, so I could take it to the tire shop to get it patched. Well apparently whatever moron tightened these things down with musta had his impact cranked all the hell up. 4 needed a 4 foot breaker bar, and the 5th just rounded completely off. How the hell do I get it off now? Its a completely round damn lug now.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
So I was trying to take the tire off our Ram today as it was completely flat, so I could take it to the tire shop to get it patched. Well apparently whatever moron tightened these things down with musta had his impact cranked all the hell up. 4 needed a 4 foot breaker bar, and the 5th just rounded completely off. How the hell do I get it off now? Its a completely round damn lug now.
hammer a socket on it.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Beat one of my perfectly good sockets onto a lugnut to see if it works.

Sure thing, I dont have any other ideas :LOL:
You owe him a beer when you post back "holy shit it worked" :imo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, any size suggestions? 19MM rounded it some at first, moved to an 18MM to ruin it completely, so what size about should I beat the hell on there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
11/16ths FTW :D

Now I need to go buy a new socket...

Also need to find out what pitch/whatever lugs this truck has so I can get a new set...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
11/16ths FTW :D

Now I need to go buy a new socket...

Also need to find out what pitch/whatever lugs this truck has so I can get a new set...
thats why they make cheap sets of sockets for like 10$. they are disposable. If you use a good one and bitch about it, you are a dumbass...it ain't comin back out too easily.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'd pick up a new set of lugs for the entire truck. Chyrsler puts those garbage lugs on nearly all their vehicles. It's common that the outer sleeve pops off and the lug left behind is slightly smaller than the 19mm it's supposed to be. Get a set of chrome nuts in size (I believe) 1/2"x20. I wouldn't pay more than a buck a nut at the local tire shop. This will make sure this doesn't happen in the future, and you'll be able to comfortably use the factory lug wrench once again:shake:
yes, the lugs chyrsler puts on there vehicles is junk:imo...had that same problem with my moms minivan when i did the brakes and i ended up drilling out the studs, and it took about 4 hours...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd pick up a new set of lugs for the entire truck. Chyrsler puts those garbage lugs on nearly all their vehicles. It's common that the outer sleeve pops off and the lug left behind is slightly smaller than the 19mm it's supposed to be. Get a set of chrome nuts in size (I believe) 1/2"x20. I wouldn't pay more than a buck a nut at the local tire shop. This will make sure this doesn't happen in the future, and you'll be able to comfortably use the factory lug wrench once again:shake:
Tire got back on yesterday, a new lug got put on today. Dont care what happens to it now. I only drive it when I want AC and to carry more than one other person...

IRRC the front tire was taken off last by a couple crack heads that changed a front ball joint (dont ask me, I wasnt involved in that one, lol). That'd explain the lug oober tight.

ThePlotz: You ever considered that the only compressor I have would burn up before it got that tire good enough to even move the truck...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.